Anyone tried the Pixel?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by janeauburn, Jun 12, 2017.

1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

2. noobinator macrumors 601

It is a nice Android phone. The fastest Android I've used. Faster than my S8+ even. Very nice camera. Nice vanilla OS of course. I always tell people if they want to try Android (coming from an iPhone) then the Pixel is the safest bet for smoothest transition. I ultimately didn't stick with it though just because I prefer the S8+ over it. If you are looking for an iPhone like experience with Android and only need the basics though and not the extra samsung stuff then the pixel may be a good option for you. It is too expensive now since the price never comes down and a new pixel should be out in 4 months or so.

3. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I'm most interested in it because of Fi and I often travel internationally.

4. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

Just don't buy used Pixel that was bought from GoogleFi, there were a decent amount of Pixel from that source that got their IMEI blacklisted by Google.

I bought the iPhone 7 because I felt the Pixel was overpriced and lacking in features in comparison, and I heard too many reports of random hardware and software bugs. The Pixel camera was highly praised so I'll see what the Pixel 2 is like.

5. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Used? No. Google is passing around a 15% off code for the Pixel XL. That's why I'm looking now--and because with Fi I get great service in Europe without paying through the nose. Tmobile is second best in Europe, but to get high speed thru them (without getting a local SIM, which comes with its own pains), you have to pony up $50 for 500MB. With Fi, you get 1 GB of high-speed for $10. That's huge.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

Oh yeah, I got that discount link in my email too. It's a good phone but after tax and everything it would still cost $700 most likely. I don't think it's worth $700 this close to the Pixel two release but if you need now and don't mind the price, it's a great phone.

7. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Pixel 2 release is one thing. Availability is another. Released in October? Available next summer, likely. Also, have you seen the mockups? Why would a taller (and less wide) phone be better? Would just stick out of my pocket more and make it harder to read Web pages.

8. j2ee Suspended

j2ee

Does anyone feel Pixel photo is much better than iphone 7/7 plus?

9. noobinator macrumors 601

I always get the Nexus/Pixel on launch and have never had to wait. I guess I'm ok with the mockups because I like the S8+ too.

10. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

From what I've seen, it looks better in some ways (more detail in hair, for example) and less good in other ways. But they're close. And camera quality on a phone is really not huge for me.

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I have one as my work phone. The hardware design is very boring, absolutely nothing in the looks department that's becoming about the phone. However, the camera, I love the camera. Android is pretty great now too. In terms of responsiveness, both iOS and Android are comparable, albeit with different workflows. I still find myself preferring iOS, but I like dipping my toe in Android as much as I can.

12. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Had a Pixel. Great phone. Nothing spectacular, but everything works perfectly. It feels good and looks good. For the OP's needs, re international, it would be a great phone.

13. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

I had one for a few weeks and didn't really like it, it seemed weird and the palm rejection wasn't working properly for me for some reason.

14. democracyrules macrumors 6502

Any non iPhone related thread like this thread should have been removed by administrators as this section only for iPhone related topics.

15. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

This is me. I'm ready to try Android. Too bad phones didn't drop in price as they got closer to the next release.

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I had one and but last weekend I gave it my kid. To me there is no Android phone outside the Pixel/Nexus The price was great and the phone was great, I'll probably buy the Pixel II in the fall.

17. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Does Google sell refurb phones like Apple does?