Anyone Tried Windows 7 x64 with BootCamp 3.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kevhui, Sep 10, 2009.

1. kevhui macrumors regular

I tried with my Mac Mini (bought in Aril 2009) but after installing the BootCamp tools in Windows, Windows crashed and could not boot. I have to boot back to Mac.

However, I also tried Windows 7 x86 with my iMac (bought in APril 2009), it is perfectly OK - I can even run Windows 7 in VMWare Fusion.

Thanks.

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

It works for me, that's all I can say.
    Have you tried reformatting your HD in NFTS?

3. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

Lucky you.

Yes I did formatted the HD with NTFS or Windows 7 did not allow me to proceed.

I actually tried both Snow Leopard and Leopard. With SL, the issue was what I mentioned. With Leopard, I was able to install BootCamp tools and run Windows 7 x64 RTM, but after restarting to Mac OS X, the Startup Disk did not listed the BoomCamp entry, so I was not able to restart to Windows 7.

May I know what Mac version are you using? Thanks.

4. ChaosAngel macrumors member

Works perfect for me on my MacBook Pro (Rev G). I did have to re-format the BOOTCAMP partition with the Windows 7 Installer before proceeding, but after that no issues at all.

OS 10.6.1 + Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Build 7600) :)

5. Helmigurt macrumors member

Hi!

I´m running Windows 7 RTM Enterprise Edition x64 very nicely on my Macbook Aluminium with Bootcamp 3.0. Had to reformat the Partition on my HD to NTFS though.

Do you have a SSD? My brother has problems with a Patriot SSD in his late 2007 Macbook Pro with SnowLeopard/Bootcamp3/Windows64bit

PS: It installed perfectly but I had to install the drivers manually from the sl disc. But everything from iSight to the special keyboard keys is working like a charm in all its 64 Bit goodness!

6. jon08 macrumors 65816

Did you experience any incompatibilities or sound issues? I installed Win 7 Ultimate x64 through BootCamp 2.0 last night on my MBP. But there was no sound, so I had to install RealTek drivers manually from the Leopard disc. Also, when trying to install BootCamp drivers, it warned me about "known incompatibilities" with Windows 7 - I guess now these have been fixed with v. 3.0?

Another thing: with RealTek drivers updated, I now do get sound, but one annoying thing is that each time before booting into Windows I head this "popping" sound out of the speakers - and this was on my previous XP on BootCamp too. Is this sound issue fixed with the latest version of BootCamp??

7. kevhui thread starter macrumors regular

No I am not using SSD.

May I know how to install the drivers manually? Many thanks.

8. Helmigurt macrumors member

You install the drivers by locating them on the sl disc in a folder which is named something with x64. There you have all the drivers. I found a good guide by googling bootcamp 3.0 and windows 64 bit.