Anyone Try A Gizmobies Skin/Protector? UPDATE: W/ Pics

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dhy8386, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

These seem similar to the GelaSkins only they are slightly padded which seems like it may actually provide some drop protection. I just bought one for my iPhone 4 and love it. Limited design choices so Im hoping more come out soon.

I'd be curious if anyone else has bought one for their iPhone 4 or 3GS. Also anyone who bought the gelaskins, are they also slightly padded or more like a sticker?

UPDATE: Here are some photos of the skin i took. Notice in the last two how the skin is slightly raised on the front of the phone. I think this helps protect the screen from a drop since the skin is ever so slightly paddded. The company also claims to use formula one material which has a lifetime guarantee.

I can tell you that its easy to apply, leaves no residue and can easily be removed and replaced multiple times (i am a perfectionist so i had to reposition it 5 times!)

Curious on thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. FrankThe Tank macrumors newbie

Dude. First off not sure why you are hatin on that skin. I think its dope. Second, i really like the look. It does seemed slightly padded. I went on their website and there is not much information but they have some verrry cool skins.

Where did you get yours? Does it cover the actual screen as well or is it around the screen?

These look better to me than the GelaSkins although the designs on the Gelaskins are pretty dope.

3. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Got mine from a buddy who is in NYC. Doesnt cover screen so if you wanted to you can put screen protector underneath. A few people i know have done that and it works fine. Personally, i hate screen protectors for viewable screen part. Too much image degradation.

Ill see if he can send me some pics of the other ones he has seen.

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Oh, nice, tribal art rejects from Ed Hardy.

The design sucks, but i guess the padded skin is interesting.

looks like those cheap puffy stickers i got from 25 cent gumball machines in the 80's. Lets hope those adhesives don't leave a sticky residue.

5. princesspale macrumors newbie

Real classy comments there guy. Maybe you should have put as much thought into being a jerk as you did in your awesome forum name and you'd be twice as cool.

Tribal art isn't my cup of tea, but no need to be such a troll.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

How is calling out the tackiness of ed hardy and tribal art being a troll? It's my opinion. I said the padded effects were "interesting" If no one ever pointed out the apparent tackiness of things, people would think it was ok to still rock ed hardy, and tribal like it was ok, when it's not.

Also, go back to lurking.

7. princesspale macrumors newbie

Because what's tacky to some people isn't tacky to others. The OP obviously bought this and you could have worded your comments far nicer.

Pretty sure your forum name is far tackier.

Padded effects were "interesting" air quoting just comes off as snide.

I guess it's easy to be mean hiding behind a computer screen.

8. fuzion macrumors 6502

Well.. I guess if you like it, buy it, but for me it reminds me of...

[​IMG]

I like cases that protect the phone whilst still showing off the design and look.. this completely negates the beauty.

9. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Seeing as how my forum name is from 8 years ago and I was 21 then I already know my forum name is tacky. Can't change it. It helps remind me to point out the tacky stuff daily.

I still stand by my original post, design: tacky
    padded skin: interesting. Original post didn't include quotes and i stand by it.

If i was really being snarky I would've said something along the lines of: "while no living human would probably be caught dead with anything tribal art these days, at least you can rest easily as being one of if not the only person with a case that throwsback to 1980s era puffy stickers and you can really rest easy knowing you are the most unique person on earth if not the universe to be so daring and bold to walk around with a unique design. kudos to you for braving the wide blue yonder."

And furthurmore, my original comment while harsh, but true, I did give credit to the padded effect being interesting, how you can misconstrue that as being a negative comment is beyond me. While I don't blame OP for wanting a unique case, and in the end, to each their own, I'm still entitled to my opinion. Now, if I personally insulted the OP that would've been trollish of me, I did no such thing, I stated my opinion, and didn't fault OP on their choice.

10. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fuzuion, I appreciate the support and its appreciated. But in fairness to trunks, I did say "limited design choices" which I meant in a nice way as terrible options now so this was the best I could do. Put the graphics aside and I was more interested in thoughts around the padded affect of the skin. Assuming better art work is released, the protection seems like it may be a real nice option for those that:

1. Want very slim protection for the glass. Against my better judgement I did some drop tests and this thing really does provide a cushion.
    2. Would like to have their phone look different from the gazillions of iphones out there
    3. Keep the aesthetics of the sides intact. You know it's not the front and back I find so sleek ita the aluminum brushed sides.