iPad Pro Anyone try a knockoff Smart Case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by thelead, Mar 28, 2016.

1. thelead macrumors 6502

2. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I have the black Moko smart case. Works a treat. Cost me 11 shipped.

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Yeah i tried one and the quality was really bad. I got a "leather" one off of ebay that even had the apple logo embossed onto it. It was made of a really crappy PU leather and was very plasticy feeling.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I can't understand the interest in third-party accessories. Just go with the original and enjoy it.

5. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

I had the green Moko case. It was great for two weeks, then developed cracks in the corners. I sent it back for a refund.

I have the Apple silicone case now and the quality is superb.

6. thelead thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm doing right now but I miss the Apple smart case that I use on my old mini and Air 2.

7. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Yep that's why I purchased one of the fake leather ones similar to what is shown in this thread off ebay. Its just like the previous Apple ones, not in 2 pieces. I can't stand that they did that with the newer models. I don't need a keyboard attachment on an ipad so those new connectors do nothing for me.

8. thelead thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any pics you could share :D

Also, are you liking it?

9. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I'm sorry for your loss...I guess.

10. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Agreed! The quality is fantastic and worth it. They seem like they offer some pretty serious protection.

11. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Many people are interested in 3rd party accessories because Apple chose NOT to make a full Apple Smart Case, and the only option with them, is to purchase the 2 pieces separately, in which case the bottom piece is no longer made of leather, yet, the total price costs like $50 more. So, long story short, Apple is ripping us off, and very proud of it.

12. Max Your Macs macrumors member

I really tried to like the Apple Smart Cover and silicone case but the gray was just sooooo booorrriiiinnngggg looking and the white didn't really appeal to me. I bought a Moko from Amazon but like many others have reported, the corners started cracking pretty quickly. I just bought a Cambond case from Amazon and so far I am very, very happy with it. Synthetic leather has a great, soft feel and the case is very professional looking and the quality it's top notch. One little thing that impressed me is the buttons. They are covered but the outer case buttons that you actually touch look and feel just like the ones on the iPad and when you press then they are very positive and not mushy like the silicone cases. This case was about $35 shipped but worth every penny I think.

13. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Sure I'll snag some photos of it this evening and post them asap. I do like it but see I don't take my ipad pro out into the world, I leave it at home on my nightstand. My iPad Air 2 had the full red case that apple made and I loved that design. Same designed case I had on my ipad mini originally. When I upgraded to the Pro I wanted the same case but Apple didn't make it, so finding a "fake" one on ebay was pretty easy. Didn't take more then 2 weeks to get the case and its basically just like their original 1 piece cases, front and back together. Has the Apple logo on the back and while it doesn't feel exactly like the real ones it's close enough for me to enjoy it. And for the price I paid, there's zero reason for me to complain about it at all compared to what you pay for the official Apple cases these days.

14. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

15. thelead thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't forget if you get a chance :)

16. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

17. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Sorry about that, totally lost track of time this week.. work work work. I'll post this evening, soon as I get home.

18. benjs macrumors regular

Glad to hear the well-earned $5.99 Canadian I spent on the black one for the iPad Pro 9.7" won't go to waste :)

19. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

I bought the Moko smart case for my iPad Air in late 2013. It is definitely showing it's age but for the price and protection it afforded me over the 2 years, I got my money's worth. (I just checked how much I paid for it: $20.99 at the time.)

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Apple-iPad-Cover-Case/dp/B00CK9DA9M. It is nothing to brag about, but functional where it counted. I also liked the fact the case itself is soft where it touches the iPad.

I'm now in market for the same type of smart case for my new 12.9 Pro as I don't want a protruding 'lip' around the bezel--I feel that it will be annoying while using the Apple Pencil.

For kicks, here is some photos of 2.5 year old Moko case on my iPad Air. Yes, it looks like a POS now. :)

Attached Files:

20. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

Ok here's the photos of the case I got off eBay. I also included photos comparing the case to an original iPad Air 2 case from Apple. They are pretty close in design and style. The inside on the official one is obviously smoother and the cut outs are more precise but really for the cost of iPad Pro "fake" case, I'm not complaining one bit. I love the one piece design and while the color might be slightly different it's hardly noticeable. Overtime the color changes anyway.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

21. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Could you please share and eBay link for the case you bought?

Thx

22. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

23. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

24. Chung123 macrumors regular

Chung123

It is not removable or detachable. It is a like a book cover.

25. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Shoot - Wish I could find a knockoff that's just a back shell knockoff..
    Ever seen one?