Anyone try a portable charger like Mophie?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TheNaz, May 8, 2015.

1. TheNaz macrumors newbie

TheNaz

Just wondering if anyone has tried a portable charging device yet. I have a Mophie for my phone but haven't tried it yet. If it works, it would be great when they come out with a short (6 to 10") charging cable as opposed to the long one which came with the watch.

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I have two anker batteries and I tried charging my watch for several minutes with both of them and didn't have any problems. I did see another thread on here where someone else said that it wasn't working with his batteries, so there may be some that have problems.

That said, though, I really haven't had any problems with battery life on the watch... for the first couple of days I carried around a spare battery and the charging cable with me in case I needed it, but I never did. Now, after having used the watch for two weeks I don't worry about it anymore. I think the lowest it's ever been when I plug it in at night is 35 or 40% and often it's above 50%.

3. flur macrumors 68000

Given that the watch ships with the same plug adapter as the iphone, anything that can charge an iphone should be able to charge the watch.

4. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I also have two Anker batteries and both can charge my Apple Watch.

5. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

+1 for anker, I've gotten batteries wires and a keyboard from them. All work very well especially for an "Amazon brand"

6. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is that some external batteries automatically shut off when the device connected to them stops charging and they this by monitoring how much current the device is drawing. In some cases the watch may not draw enough current to make the battery think that its still charging and the battery will turn off and the watch won’t charge.

7. Cheule macrumors member

I have a rather high quality battery charger that has an LED display showing battery left, etc. it shuts off and won't charge the watch because of the problem you are describing. The watch doesn't draw enough amperage.

8. TheNaz thread starter macrumors newbie

TheNaz

Just tried my Mophie and had no problem with that. Just hope they come out with some short cords (1 to 2 feet) so you don't have to carry a 4' cable around with you. I should also be able to use my solar panel for when I'm really out in the sticks. :)