anyone try aftershokz?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by steve knight, Apr 27, 2012.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have been having problems hearing when people talk to me while I ma on the bus and such. Plus the foam pads on my ajays last only a few weeks and it gets expensive replacing them. The aftershokz just came out they are bone conduction headphones and they don't go in your ears. The sound is a bit muffled if that's the right term but I mostly listen to audiobooks so it is not a big problem. I would not use them for high end audio they are for when you need to hear around you or they may get wet.
    one thing they do well is I can wear them in my noisy shop with ear plugs and hear just fine. I have etymotic hf5's with the custom ear molds that work well land sound better but when it is quiet in my shop I can't hear people and such while using them.

http://www.aftershokz.com/Bone-Conduction-Headphones-AfterShokz-s/1818.htm

2. dthree36 macrumors regular

Interesting.... I would be willing to pick these up ad see if they work. not sure if Best Buy allows the return of used headphones but if they do .... no harm done.

3. steve knight, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

been using them for a bit. they do what they are meant to and it is good to hear everything around you. but if the sounds are louder then the volume on them of course they are drowned out. the battery/mic is clunky and the clip is not super strong. I don't usually need to adjust volume on my ear buds but these I need it more and they don't have volume control. You can't feel the buttons as they are pretty much flush with the face of the controls. But some puffy paint I get at walmart marks them well. a dot for answer button and a slash for the power. I usually end up using some of the paint to mark the answer button on most earbud controls.
    They stay in place and I never need to adjust them and I can leave them on while reading my kindle and such and hear everything.
    the bass is good though they can vibrate and you have to get used to that.
    I found the talk button will turn them on so that saves a step but it also works when they are not on