Anyone try an eGPU on a MBA 2015/17?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imrazor, May 13, 2019.

1. imrazor macrumors regular

imrazor

I know this is not officially supported with Thunderbolt 2, but reports seem to indicate it's possible with an adapter. Anyone here get it working? I've tried searching for an adapter, but so far haven't had any luck finding a TB2->TB3 adapter. (There seem to be plenty that work in the opposite direction.)

Are results noticeably worse than with a Macbook w/Thunderbolt 3?

I've been referred to egpu.io for more info, but I was wondering if anyone here had any success.

2. padams35 macrumors regular

Thunderbolt adapters are bi-directional. TB3->TB2 works as TB2->TB3. The really important thing is to have a software script that will enable unofficial Thunderbolt1/2 eGPU compatibility.

And yes, success (although my build is a 2016 era TB2->TB2 with an RX460 inside an Akitio Thunder 2. These days I'd suggest a beefier GPU in an official chassis).

Thunderbolt 2 is measurably worse than Thunderbolt 3, but you mostly just start hitting diminishing returns sooner.

3. imrazor thread starter macrumors regular

imrazor

Thanks for the report. Still not sure if I'll try this. I have a couple of video cards lying around, but I'd still need to invest in an enclosure and adapter. Might be worth it for the light video editing I do, but I'm not sure.