Anyone try Bootcamp on Octo Nehalem Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tomhayes, Mar 12, 2009.

1. tomhayes macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if they include drivers for XP and/or Vista with the new Macs?

Anyone install Bootcamp on the new Macs Pros? If so, how does it run?

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

I plan to set it up later, right now I am doing work. Will post if it works or doesn't

3. McShizzel macrumors regular

I installed it earlier today, everything went smoothly and all the drivers seem to be working out well.

4. NYCubby macrumors newbie

How about installing Windows on a software RAID 0 array in the 2009 Mac Pro's???

Can anyone try? With the absence of legacy IDE, I am hoping that bootcamp will work with software raid 0.....

Aaron

5. PowerPaw macrumors member

How does that work? I thought Bootcamp allowed you to boot the Windows OS natively though personally haven't tried it as I am still stuck on PowerPC architecture so have no experience of it to comment at that level.

However, from a Windows perspective you simply can't boot off software RAID 0 as it isn't supported, Mac OSX can as it installs the necessary binaries to load the disk driver from either drive allowing it to bootstrap to the now visible RAID 0 volume.

Hardware RAID will be interesting as the SATA cabling in the new Mac Pro is significantly different from what I have read but with the right third party RAID card it should certainly be possible using an eSATA connected array.

6. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Went fine on my Quad. Im guessin the 4780 drivers are included on the disc, but I'm not sure, any way I can check in Windows?

7. LifeStar macrumors newbie

I've been having on and off success with mine. The latest problem that cropped up was after I installed flash and firefox, the sound on the system stopped working. However, I did earlier install the boot camp 2.1 build 210A12 after I installed the boot camp drivers that were included with the mac DVD.

I'm wondering if I should have done that or not and I can't find any info about whether that was what I should or shouldn't have done. I know that last year the 2.1 upgrade build 210A12 was need if you were going to upgrade XP to SP3 or Vista to SP1. Does anyone know if the boot camp drivers on the Nehalem Mac Pros is the latest and greatest Boot Camp drivers and should forgor the download of 210A12?

8. seer macrumors member

I have a question in advance of installing windows via bootcamp tonight. Can I install standard ATI drivers for the 4870 (i.e. whatever the latest vista 64 drivers are at ati.com) or I am stuck using whatever drivers are provided by bootcamp?

9. milk242 macrumors 6502a

You should be able to use the latest ATI drivers for windows.. works in mbps using nvidia drivers from their website

10. seer macrumors member

Thanks Milk, was just wondering cos I was thinking that (knowing apple!) there would be some problem with the EFI or something if I didnt use their drivers.

I know ... I'm a noob :)

11. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Anyone tried rating their Nehalem Mac Pro in Windows Experience Index? I'm running Windows 7 on Nehalem Mac Pro 8 core 2.93 and its getting an unknown error each time it reaches the CPU testing section.

12. tomhayes thread starter macrumors newbie

Bootcamp benchmarks

I instlled Bootcamp, Windows Xp Vista 64, installed the Apple drivers, updated the windows software and ran some benchmarks.

The Cinebench 64 bit was higher than the 32 bit in Vista or Mac OS X. I may bite the bullet and buy the 64 bit version for OS X.

Windows Geekbench: 7132
    http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/119749

PassMark Performance Test 7.0

CINEBENCH R10
    Tester : Tom Hayes
    Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3520 @ 2.67GHz
    MHz :
    Number of CPUs : 8
    Operating System : WINDOWS 64 BIT 6.0.6001
    Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Resolution : <fill this out>
    Color Depth : <fill this out>
    Rendering (Single CPU): 4042 CB-CPU
    Rendering (Multiple CPU): 16086 CB-CPU
    Multiprocessor Speedup: 3.98
    Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 6512 CB-GFX

CINEBENCH R10
    Tester : Tom Hayes
    Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3520 @ 2.67GHz
    MHz :
    Number of CPUs : 8
    Operating System : WINDOWS 32 BIT 6.0.6001
    Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Resolution : <fill this out>
    Color Depth : <fill this out>
    Rendering (Single CPU): 3196 CB-CPU
    Rendering (Multiple CPU): 13143 CB-CPU
    Multiprocessor Speedup: 4.11
    Shading (OpenGL Standard) : 6376 CB-GFX

My Windows Experince index is 1.0 becuase the graphics card always get 1.0 when running the tests.

I instaled Unreal III via Steam and it plays great, I'll run a timedemo later tonight.

BTW, I installed the ATI drivers after I ran the benchmarks, but software update (Apple) and Window Update did not prompt me to do so, i had to go to Ati.com and download manually.

13. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Perhaps its just isolated to Windows 7. I've been trying for a while now to get a rating and it won't pass the CPU section.