Anyone Try Elgato's HDHomeRun Yet???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dapetrun, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

I'm interested in knowing if anyone on these forums has tried Elgato's new HDHomeRun networking box yet? It connects two cable leads (either roof-top digital ATSC feeds or digital cable from the cable company, or both) to your network router via Ethernet cable and allows any computer within WiFi range to record your favorite programming via Elgato's EyeTV software. I've been using the EyeTV Hybrid plug-in USB digital/analog tuner (on a MBP) with their EyeTV software and have been very happy with the performance. This new box would give me dual tuner capability for very little more $ and the added convenience of using it on any computer that is free (not tied up). Also, how well does it work with AppleTV? :D

Really big dogs don't need to bark! I just growl... :p

2. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

does that work with DirecTV?

sorry I'm pretty new to the whole eyeTV thing.

3. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

HDHomeRun...

"does that work with DirecTV?

sorry I'm pretty new to the whole eyeTV thing."

No, I don't think it does because the tuner is incompatible. There would be no way to change channels of the sat receiver.

dapetrun

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I'll Get It On Sale At MacWorld

I've got the 500 into the Quad G5 and the Hybrid into the Mac Pro. And this HD Home Run would be a little more convenient as each tuner picks up different channels with the antenna in the same position. But unless I can get a review eval unit, I'll wait for the MacWorld sale in January at their booth in San Francisco. ;)

As I see it, the problem continues to be that you cannot assign a particular tuner to be the source of a scheduled recording. Without that feature, a feature they promised me was in the works in January, recording continues to be hit or miss when two tuners are plugged into the same Mac.