Anyone try the 500gb 7200.4 in a Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MrT-Man, Apr 20, 2009.

1. MrT-Man macrumors regular

Has anyone had a chance to try the Seagate 500gb 7200.4 drive in a Mini yet? Or are they still pretty much nowhere to be found?

Seems like this would be the drive to get -- although there's a user review on Newegg saying that it's slow. That's a bit concerning... but who knows how accurate that is.

2. MrENGLISH macrumors regular

I ordered one for my MBP but its not supposed to ship until some time next week. As for my mini, I did install a 320GB 7200rpm hitachi drive in it and I've seen an increase in speed when playing high res videos.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I ordered mine from Dell. It's the same Seagate drive just rebadged with the Dell name.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&sku=341-8658

3. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Sureley there must be someone with a 500gb 7200 drive in their mini?
    Its been a long wait for these drives.. :(

4. dal20402 macrumors 6502

I don't have a mini, but I managed to snag one of the very first units for my Early '08 MBP and it's been fabulous. The performance is significantly improved over even the 7200 rpm 320 GB Seagate 7200.3 that it replaced. It's faster, both in random and sequential access, than my 750 GB desktop Samsung SpinPoint F1 connected through eSATA.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I ordered the Seagate 500GB 7200.4 hard drive from Dell and put it in my new Mini along with 4GB of RAM about three weeks ago. I am very pleased with it. What I really wanted to do was to put in a bare 10K RPM VelociRaptor hard drive but unfortunately they are too thick.

6. lamerica80 macrumors 6502a

lamerica80

Looks like these drives FINALLY will start arriving to my country (switzerland) It says "delivery approx end of may" on my favourite internet dealer.

Anyone have any experience to share about upgrading to the 500gb 7200 drives on their 09 minis?

Edit: after reading all the bad reviews on newegg im concidering the western digital 320 drive instead. Any thoughts on this?

7. motownflip macrumors regular

I couldn't find one of these when I was looking. I figured they were having problems when they were difficult to find. Good luck!

8. MrT-Man thread starter macrumors regular

There's a good thread discussing this drive, here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=271131

Sounds like the initial batch of drives *may* have had some issues, and the latest batch has revised fimware that works great.

But I don't know what the risk is of getting a drive with the original firmware, if you buy one today, or how bad a problem it is if you do get stuck with one.

9. davemulheran macrumors regular

these are available now. Ive had about 4 emails from suppliers saying they are now in stock (UK)