Anyone try the iPad 2 in iPad 1 Apple Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by kngelv, Mar 12, 2011.

1. kngelv macrumors member

Just like the title. I know the cameras will be covered but has anyone tried putting one in the black Apple case? How does it fit? Thanks.

James

2. Greg M macrumors 6502

Just a tad loose but not bad at all. The buttons on the sides don't quite line up but you can push on them through the case easily enough. The front camera isn't covered up.

3. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Will iPad 2 slip out easily? Will iPad 2 shakes or feel wobbly inside iPad 1 case? I am thinking of getting the iPad 1 case too.

4. gatech2 macrumors member

5. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

good question....pics please

6. gatech2 macrumors member

I don't have one but like them. And was wondering if it might work. I know the cut outs would not line up but would it fit in case sleeve good.

7. Greg M macrumors 6502

Comes out easily if you're taking it out but won't just come out on it's own. Shifts around a little but not much at all. Overall it works very well.

8. yule0 macrumors newbie

I'm wondering if the iPad1 case can trigger the standby/wake function just like the smart case? Does it have anything to do with those magnets?

9. comixster macrumors member

yes, the magnets are causing that.

10. webvan macrumors member

Having just received my iPad 2 with the grey smartcover I'm not liking at all compared to the iPad1+Apple Cover. I wish they made a version for the iPad 2, even without the magnets. Might give the Tobolino (sp?) a try.

11. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Get a thin shell on eBay nd it will fit fine, not sure y you wouldn't just get a case that fits it properly as there are mny out there mimic the original case and will let you all the functions and the hibernation feature.

12. webvan macrumors member

Yes that's the plan. It would have been nice of Apple to offer an iPad 1 type cover, the smartcover is only smart in the drawing room, unless you fancy a scratched back.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

Not if you have a cover on the back. I have the clear Incipio Feather cover at the moment and it protects the back just fine.

14. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

You know its interesting you should say that.

While at the Apple store yesterday, and I should note this is the same Apple store I bought my Ipad 2 on the day of release. I inspected probably half of the demonstration devices they currently have there for signs of abuse, scratches etc. Now these demo units have been on display since that day, they appear to be the very same units that were put up and I looked at prior to making my purchase.

Very few of the ones I examined yesterday had any signs eye catching scratches. I was totally blown away by this knowing full well that probably, not hundreds, but hundreds of thousand had in all likely hood streamed through this Manhattan store and handled these devices.

What I did notice and wanted to ask, but cold not find a sales associate was if there was some sort of screen protector on them.

It looked that way to me but it was not one that could be removed. It looked like it was permanently affixed to the screen.

Perhaps the aluminum backs were also coated but it really didn't look or feel that way, only the screen.

Does Apple make a demonstration model for stores, protected and obviously loaded with programs, movies, and music, essentially a durable store display.

How else could they escape the kind of punishment an unprotected back would take with this kind of handling.

Any one else ever notice this?

15. webvan macrumors member

Good question! The backs are probably fine as far as scratches go since they rest on these rubbery "bases". As for the screens I've never noticed any protectors on them, I'll check the next time.

Another fail for the smartcover are the "bands" on the screen where the folds are. I think I saw a link on how to use it to clean the cover but a $1 microfiber cloth will do the job.

@Mr.C - not very good reviews here http://www.amazon.com/review/RXTCP6ZY8LIA2/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RXTCP6ZY8LIA2 for the Incipo feather, it seems the cover that is already prone to coming off is even less "adhesive".

Based on the excellent reviews I've got the Toblino 2 on order http://www.amazon.com/Toblino-Leather-Folio-Convertable-Multi-angle/dp/B004TM1JBE/ref=pd_cp_e_1 but it doesn't offer protection to the sides like the iPad 1 does. Amazon seems to have some that look the part but with few reviews. There certainly is a market for an iPad 1 type cover for the iPad 2.

16. MikeBreak macrumors newbie