Anyone try the new 64-bit Chrome on MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stfwayne, Sep 1, 2014.

1. stfwayne macrumors regular

Has anyone tried the the new 64 bit Chrome web browser on their Macbook Air?

I used to browse with Chrome exclusively but it got so bloated, slow, and resource hogging that i switched to Safari and then ultimately to Opera which is basically Chrome without the bloat

Now I am curious to see if the fact that Google updated the browser to 64 bit will make a difference in terms of speed of browsing and most importantly making my Macbook Air hot with multiple tabs open

2. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

I have to say that Safari is an excellent browser, having switched from Internet Explorer using Windows 8.1.

But if you must, why don't you download the beta for yourself? I downloaded it and it didn't seem to use significant energy all the time. So I guess it's more or less on par with Safari.

But for the best experience, you should use Safari. :p

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

My daughter has been unable to run 32-bit Chrome on her Macbooks for a few years and across different devices (probably because of something that got mucked up and carried over with each data migration).

When Canary Chrome was released, I installed it on her system. Not only does it run fine, but smoothly as well.

4. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I love Chrome, don't get me wrong, but I have a hard time going back to the old days of having to enter a credit card number whenever I buy something. Love my stored keychain credit card auto-fill in Safari. Never going back to Chrome. LOL

5. Motawa macrumors 6502

6. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Never been a Chrome fan on Mac. Rather would use Safari if I'm using a Mac. On Chromebooks it's perfectly functional and since it is the only choice for that platform, it had better be.

7. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Using Chrome Beta 38.0.2125.44, and it's fast on Yosemite beta 2. But still, if I run my standard test of scrolling fast on a text heavy site like reddit, Safari is smooth as butter, while Chrome has noticeably lower frames per second. It irks me.

8. Rodrigo Yoshida macrumors member

I tested Chrome Canary 64 bits for a couple of days and it definitely feels faster than the 32 bits version, but Safari is still faster. I believe Google will not beat Safari's performance, their focus is on the Windows version.

I used Chrome as my main browser for many years and switched to Safari a few days ago, now I just cannot go back, it is way faster and smoother, just miss some features like syncing the favorites and history with my Nexus and streaming to Chromecast. Looks like I will have to buy an iPhone and an Apple TV :D

9. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I use chrome pretty much exclusively on mac, linux and windows. When the OSX 64 bit version gets shaken down a bit I'll testdrive it.

10. philippp macrumors newbie

The biggest problem with chrome for me is the reduced battery life. If i use safari instead of chrome will i get a couple of extra hours of power.