Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
At this site you can pretty much get everything you need to download the current iPhone firmware and decrypt the encrypted disk image.

One of the more interesting files listed on the iPhone is file called:

SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist

I decrypted the firmware dmg and opened that plist in Apple's Property List Editor, and it seems we can just increase the maximum values, and use iPhoneinterface and jailbreak to put the edited plist back on the iPhone in the appropriate place to see if the changes actually worked.

I'm about to eat, so I'll try it in a few minutes -- has anyone else gone this route?

CyberGreg

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2004
SoCal
I browsed the dmg files a little but had not found that, very nice.... Please do post back your results. This could be a nice hack, er mod....

Remember to upload the original Services.plist file when you're done.

:cool:

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
At this site you can pretty much get everything you need to download the current iPhone firmware and decrypt the encrypted disk image.

One of the more interesting files listed on the iPhone is file called:

SystemSoundMaximumVolume.plist

I decrypted the firmware dmg and opened that plist in Apple's Property List Editor, and it seems we can just increase the maximum values, and use iPhoneinterface and jailbreak to put the edited plist back on the iPhone in the appropriate place to see if the changes actually worked.

I'm about to eat, so I'll try it in a few minutes -- has anyone else gone this route?

Oh wow smart guy... i haven't tired it yet.. let me know if it works out! that be awesome!! :D

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Did it a few minutes ago. I raised each value of volume (except line out) up by 0.3. Maybe that was a bit too conservative -- i'm not sure. In any case, I do not notice any difference in headset volume or speakerphone volume.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on what this plist is actually doing, if it isn't governing the maximum volume levels like I first thought it would.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
i'm thinking maybe it's the system sound or something and not the volume for the ringtone.. i dono.. just a guess..

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Well, yea, that's probably a bit too conservative. Try increasing by 1.0 or 1.5. Actually, you may wanna go the other direction with 3.0 or more, if it's not too much trouble to go back and forth. This way you will know if it will have any effect at all. Then start backing down in increments.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Wow

Eagerly awaiting to see if this mod works!!!

I normally do all the mods and exploits I can when I first learn about it, but I have not been that excited about ring tones on my phone yet so I have held off, but if this volume mod works I will be there with new ring tones as well!!

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I was mainly being conservative because i did't want to blow out my speakers (assuming it worked.) i'm off to happy hour now i might try something further with this later tonight. If anyone else tries it be sure to post the results.

MichaelJohnston

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Unfortunately this doesn't work. It seems that these values are based on the relative capability of these devices. Essentially 1.0 is 100%. There is no 100% +10

Your best bet is to increase the volume of the sounds.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Unfortunately this doesn't work. It seems that these values are based on the relative capability of these devices. Essentially 1.0 is 100%. There is no 100% +10

This is very helpful info, thanks. I'll have a look later today after work.

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007

Possible. Or it could be like the A1200.....the file you'd need to modify was kept in a special area of the phone memory, such that you couldn't keep it modified as the system would wipe it out on boot. Someone eventually had to write a loader to modify the file each time the phone was powered up to get it to work.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
So the iphone doesn't go to 11?

Well, it's one louder, isn't it? I mean, most phones go up to 10, but where can you go from there?

Where?

Nowhere.

What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Eleven.

One louder.

mactree

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Well, it's one louder, isn't it? I mean, most phones go up to 10, but where can you go from there?

Where?

Nowhere.

What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Eleven.

One louder.

But what if you just made the iphone 1.0 equal to 100% and made that the loudest?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.