Anyone upgrade from a mid 2009 to i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcdj, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't really need a new computer but I like new toys. :D

Wondering if I would see a noticeable difference in performance between my current mid '09 13" MBP (SD slot) 2.53ghz and a new 2.7.

2. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Nope i have a late 08 with same specs but has the expansion slot thingy instead of the SD slot but anyhow. i was thinking upgrading but it still feels like it did when i first got it and doesn't have any scratches. only terrible battery time.

I think im gonna wait alittle longer.

4. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

yeah my battery life is a tad short, but not terrible. i just keep looking at the geekbench scores between mine and the 2.7...

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

That depends on what you do with your computer. Think about it, web browsing depends on the speed of your internet connection not the CPU, GRU or HD (SSD). If you use MS Word or Excel for business, again even a 3 year-old C2D 2009 MBP is much faster than the operator :eek:!
    However, if you do highly CPU-intensive related tasks, video encoding, 3D rendering or Video production, get the latest model MBP or MP and you can cut the time involved by half or more. Apps like Handbrake etc. benefit from having more cores to work with. How about a BTO 12 core MP ? :cool:
    However, the occasional use of these tools probably doesn't justify the high cost of an upgrade. I would love to upgrade my trusty 2009 MBP for a new MBA, but I just cannot justify even the relatively low cost of that computer, and the older models have their advantages too, firewire CD-DVD drives, etc.
    One of my friends is waiting for his old 2003 iBook G4 to die so he can buy an MBA (he actually has more than enough money to just pop for one), and the thing just won't kick the bucket! :mad::D:mad:
    If you can justify the purchase, go for it, if not enjoy your good'ol MBP
    Another friend recently bought a new battery from OWC when his 2006 MB battery died, now he gets more battery time than the original! That's another good option.

6. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The other consideration for me is the second hand value of my current computer. I can still probably get $600-$700 for it, but the price goes down with each new release.