Anyone Upgrade the Late-2012 iMac RAM? Pics / Vids

Discussion in 'iMac' started by petraidm, Dec 12, 2012.

1. petraidm macrumors member

I am still awaiting the arival of my new 27" Late-2012 iMac. I will be upgrading the RAM with 32 GB of OCW memory as soon as it arrives. Has anyone updated their RAM yet? Seen pictures / video of how to do it?

2. kaellar macrumors 6502

Is that the kind of operation you need guides to do? Plug off power cable, push the button, plug off RAM panel, install RAM, plug on RAM panel, plug on power cable. THAT'S IT. 1 minute.

3. Fantola macrumors member

No he wants to see a video of the install. Not how to do it.

And does anybody think these ram would work for my imac:

4x8b SDRAM DDR3 Corsair ValueSelect
    SoDImm 204 pin
    1600 mhz
    11 CL
    1.5 V
    PC3 12800
    (link [danish]: http://www.pc-lager.dk/vare-oversigt.php?varenummer=506657&type=0)
    I already bought them, just want to know if anyone believe they work or not. I can trade them for something else.

4. LogicPro macrumors regular

I'm amazed at people upgrading to 32GB RAM. Why in the world? I can understand needing 16GB for gaming, but there's no way you'll ever need 32GB - unless you're running Photoshop, Final Cut, Logic, and COD all at the same time. And, the same ram will be cheaper in the future.

Why?

5. photoz macrumors member

The question is why not. 32GB can be had for ~$150, that in itself is a freaking miracle. You will 'never' have to worry about running out of RAM again.

Yes, I am a heavy PS+Lightroom user, the more the merrier!

6. LogicPro macrumors regular

Hey - if you have $150 to spend, all the power to you. I use Logic Pro heavily, with lots of sound libraries. I've been getting by on 4GB, but it's been rough. So, I'm upgrading to 16 GB. I'll get 32GB in a few years, when it's a necessity, and at that point, it'll probably be half the price.

7. TheAnnihilator macrumors newbie

iMac unboxing and ram upgrade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etPWp1k5psA
    DetroitBorg will make people aware of any issues with this ram. He always buys his ram off Crucial. I just wish they had some in stock to order

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Clearly lots of people run those apps. A 14 second RAM preview in After Effects used 20GB

9. BSoares macrumors regular

I just installed it and it's so easy and quick that making a video would be more work than installing the RAM. Seriously, easiest memory upgrade I've ever done. And I work in the IT field and have done many of those.