Anyone upgraded from 11" C2D Ultimate to i7 Ultimate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmoore5196, Oct 31, 2011.

1. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I bought a C2D "ultimate" 11" this spring. I'm now looking toward the newer "ultimate" i7 11" MBA. Having played with an i5 version in the Apple Store, I'm struck by the snappier performance and would enjoy the larger SSD.

Two questions for anyone who's followed this upgrade path:

Any challenges with the TB interface? I'm still using a 24" ACD; I trust I won't experience any problems, but thought I'd ask.

Second, is the performance increase noticeable for you? If you had it to do over again, would you wait for the next revision?

Thanks! Apologize for the very specific query, but perhaps someone can help me make up my mind. There's nothing wrong with my C2D machine, but I cannot help but feel it's a bit sluggish (especially when docked with the ACD) and would think the new chips would remedy that deficiency.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't use an external display, but did upgrade from the 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo 11" to the 11" i7 this summer. Web browsing, etc. are about the same (as expected). However, where the i7 really shines for me is running virtual machines (I use Windows 7 occasionally). While the C2D model was OK running Windows 7, the i7 makes it feel almost native within the VM, at least when running applications such as Quicken.

Regarding the display, note that the NVIDIA integrated graphics in the old model are actually slightly faster than the Intel HD 3000 graphics in the new models. However, AnandTech had a demo of the Thunderbolt Display running the MacBook Air and it seemed OK.