Anyone upgraded from ColdFusion 8 to 9? Issues?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by gramtrax, Feb 12, 2010.

1. gramtrax macrumors regular

gramtrax

Just curious if anyone has upgraded an existing local host ColdFusion 8 to CF 9 and had a good experience or....? Wanting to do it, but not if it's going to screw up everything I've already got running.

2. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Does anyone use CFM anymore? I've had one person in 5 years call me about doing some maintenance on their CFM site.

3. rufhausen macrumors regular

I just went thru this with CF9 and MAMP on Snow Leopard, though I actually blew away the CF8 install ahead of time. The first issue was that I thought I could use the 64-bit version of CF9, but that won't work with MAMP's apache. Then the web server connector refused to work properly and I ended up running the following command to get everything working:
    ./wsconfig -server coldfusion -ws Apache -bin /Applications/MAMP/bin/apache2/bin/httpd -script /Applications/MAMP/bin/apache2/bin/apachectl -dir /Applications/MAMP/conf/apache/ -coldfusion -v

Regarding the other response about if anybody is using CFML anymore, that's kind of getting old (the response that is). CF is widely used still in the corporate world. Yes, there are modern MVC frameworks for it like CFWheels. Yes, there are open-source options for CFML like Railo. No, it's not readily available on $2/month hosting plans like PHP. No, it's not dying.
    And I see plenty of CF opportunities in the Denver area where I live, and they generally pay better than PHP work since it's harder to find CF developers.

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Never managed to get CF installed on MAMP(non pro) though i need to use it as my 2nd language in university as the module descriptor does not mention Ruby, ASP/ASP.net, JAVA.
    Only PHP(not allowed to use classes) and CF are allowed so i have to get a CF installation working in some form or another to produce a basic admin section for my web app.
    My lecturer has asked i also produce it in Ruby on Rails and Cabbit(my php framework) to demonstrate that it is possible to build web applications using frameworks that will still allow the students to show technical expertise as the other lectuers seem to be of the mind that the other languages are ether to complex, to easy, to hard to mark, not used in the industry, or write the code for the student.

So long story short, if you know how to install CF8 or 9 on MAMP non pro without it causing any damage to my PHP and Ruby installation i would be most pleased.

5. rufhausen macrumors regular

My MAMP install is not the Pro version either. Just make sure you run the 32-bit CF9 install. You can try pointing the installer to the correct MAMP files during the web connector portion of the install. However, that's what failed for me. You can do it via command line as I described in the post above. Just make sure your path to wsconfig and the paths to the place in MAMP are correct.
    I don't recall for sure, but I may have run the wsconfig command as root.

For Virtualhosts, I added an alias to CFIDE to each one, though maybe you can do that globally:
    Alias /CFIDE "/htdocs/CFIDE"