iPhone X Anyone upgraded from iPhone X

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
I’m quite happy with my iPhone X. But curious to see whether anyone has done the upgrade to XS (not max)? What’s your feedback so far.

The main reason I don’t want to upgrade is the fact it looks identical to iPhone X.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Krabba

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Charlotte, NC USA
I upgraded from X to Max and I couldn’t be more pleased. It is everything I loved about the X but larger. The upgraded camera is a very nice plus too. I came from a 7+ to the X so I found myself missing some screen real estate after the “WOW” of FaceID, gestures, etc. wore off with the X.

I do think the form factor of the X is the best of any iPhone I’ve ever had (basically all of them from 3GS), but I’m glad I made the trade off for a larger one because 6.5” of OLED is amazing.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
I think yeah, there aren’t many compelling reasons to upgrade to the XS. The camera is way better but that not important to everyone.

I went from an X to an XS Max and don’t regret my decision at all.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
I went from X to XS... I do this every year. It's not about upgrading, but getting another, latest phone each release cycle.

MacInFool

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I went from the X to the XS Max. The size makes it a different phone. I don’t think going from X to XS would be worthwhile. My X had some glitches, too, so I wanted to get a new unit anyway.

Reactions: Vermifuge

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I upgraded from the X to the XS Max, but I am considering returning the XS Max - and this is from someone who generally prefers a larger phone and gets a new phone each year. I feel like I am so happy with my X that I am pretty much 'wasting' over $2000 AUD by keeping the XS Max. The X feels better to hold (and I have large hands) and I prefer the screen temperature of the X. I am only getting about 30 minutes more battery per day. The only real reason to keep the XS Max for me would be the camera, since I recently sold off all my DLSR gear.

mpshah27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
Went from the X to the XS Max. It's been 3 days and honestly I'm thinking of exchanging the Max for the XS. This thing is HUGE! Its not fun handling such a big phone in your day to day routine.

Reactions: skadd

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
X to XS here. Same color too, so I didn’t do it to show off the latest phone, I did it because I update every year; I enjoy the improvements, and I’m really happy with the better camera this year.

Ifti

macrumors 68020
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I went from a 6S+ to the X, and as I was used to the larger size the X never 'felt right' for me. Even though the screen size was the same.
Hence Im waiting for my XS Max to arrive. I think I'll be happier with a larger handset, and the larger screen will be awesome.
I plan to sell the X to offset the cost, and keep the XS Max for another 2-3 years now.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Upgraded from an x to an X’s max as well, it’s great to be back on plus sized iPhones.

jiangning

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I went from X to Max to try the bigger size.
However, I’d get XS if Max turns out too big for me, simply for the larger camera sensor.

I strongly disagree with people saying XS is not a worthy upgrade for X users. I’d say if you’re someone who cares a lot about image quality from a phone and is stuck with Apple (i.e, won’t consider Pixel, Samsung, or Huawei), then upgrading to XS makes total sense.

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I also upgraded from the X to xs max. The larger screen just feels more comfortable for me to read and use. The weight does not feel any different to me.

M1ckab

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2015
UK
Went from x to Xs for the Dual-SIM and improved photos - just got to wait for esim now :)

dan-K

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I upgraded from an X to the XS Max. I'll be honest, before upgrading I wasn't sure if it was even worth it myself, but as soon as I opened the box and started using the phone, I couldn't be happier with it. The bigger screen really makes all the difference and it's a joy to use.

Reactions: AppleRobert

cbarnes3121

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
i upgraded from the x to the xs max all because of the size and that i always upgrade every year. this year i went back to gold being that the x didn't come in gold im happy

bpeeps

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2011
I upgraded from X to Max and I couldn’t be more pleased. It is everything I loved about the X but larger. The upgraded camera is a very nice plus too. I came from a 7+ to the X so I found myself missing some screen real estate after the “WOW” of FaceID, gestures, etc. wore off with the X.

I do think the form factor of the X is the best of any iPhone I’ve ever had (basically all of them from 3GS), but I’m glad I made the trade off for a larger one because 6.5” of OLED is amazing.
X to XS Max. Great being back to the big screen.
Went from the X to the XS Max. It's been 3 days and honestly I'm thinking of exchanging the Max for the XS. This thing is HUGE! Its not fun handling such a big phone in your day to day routine.
Upgraded from an x to an X’s max as well, it’s great to be back on plus sized iPhones.
I also upgraded from the X to xs max. The larger screen just feels more comfortable for me to read and use. The weight does not feel any different to me.
I upgraded from an X to the XS Max. I'll be honest, before upgrading I wasn't sure if it was even worth it myself, but as soon as I opened the box and started using the phone, I couldn't be happier with it. The bigger screen really makes all the difference and it's a joy to use.
i upgraded from the x to the xs max all because of the size and that i always upgrade every year. this year i went back to gold being that the x didn't come in gold im happy
OP specifically wants to hear from those who upgraded X to XS, yet the Max people completely ignore that. You'd think they would be able to read a bit better with those bigger screens, but I guess not. xD

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2012
I went from X to XS and there really isn't much difference. Yes everything may happen .2 seconds faster but the X was never slow so its really hard to tell if you aren't holding the phones side by side. The camera is better in low light but for daytime pics I haven't seen a difference. The most noticeable thing really is the speakers. They are louder and do sound better than the X. I'm still up in the air for weather or not I will keep it but I can say if you are happy with the X I would recommend sitting this one out. It does NOT feel like a new phone.

Reactions: JamiLynee

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I’m quite happy with my iPhone X. But curious to see whether anyone has done the upgrade to XS (not max)? What’s your feedback so far.

The main reason I don’t want to upgrade is the fact it looks identical to iPhone X.

Any comments would be appreciated.
I am just for the bigger screen size. Other than that, I love my X.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like most of you have gone from X to XS Max..Not many went with XS..
I cannot use any large phones - just dont feel comfortable carrying a phablet around.

So i guess no upgrade for me this year then!!

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
X to Xs Max here. Everything is better. I like the size, almost completely used to it by now, cameras are much better, Face ID is almost perfect for me, speed increase is noticeable. I’m happy with it for $4 more a month.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68010
Jan 27, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like most of you have gone from X to XS Max..Not many went with XS..
I cannot use any large phones - just dont feel comfortable carrying a phablet around.

So i guess no upgrade for me this year then!!
Here are my thoughts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-go-from-iphone-x-to-iphone-xs-not-max.2142372/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...phone-x-but-not-iphone-xs-any-others.2142479/

And there’s this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-momentary-stuttering-after-inactivity.2141542/

I’d say if you have the X, you don’t need to upgrade to the XS. I’m very highly considering returning my XS.

Reactions: m0sher
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.