iPhone X Anyone upgraded from iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vhl71, Sep 23, 2018.

1. vhl71 macrumors 6502

I’m quite happy with my iPhone X. But curious to see whether anyone has done the upgrade to XS (not max)? What’s your feedback so far.

The main reason I don’t want to upgrade is the fact it looks identical to iPhone X.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. Krabba macrumors regular

Krabba

I upgraded from X to Max and I couldn’t be more pleased. It is everything I loved about the X but larger. The upgraded camera is a very nice plus too. I came from a 7+ to the X so I found myself missing some screen real estate after the “WOW” of FaceID, gestures, etc. wore off with the X.

I do think the form factor of the X is the best of any iPhone I’ve ever had (basically all of them from 3GS), but I’m glad I made the trade off for a larger one because 6.5” of OLED is amazing.

3. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I think yeah, there aren’t many compelling reasons to upgrade to the XS. The camera is way better but that not important to everyone.

I went from an X to an XS Max and don’t regret my decision at all.

4. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

I went from X to XS... I do this every year. It's not about upgrading, but getting another, latest phone each release cycle.

5. MacInFool macrumors newbie

I went from the X to the XS Max. The size makes it a different phone. I don’t think going from X to XS would be worthwhile. My X had some glitches, too, so I wanted to get a new unit anyway.

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I’ll be upgrading from X to Xs December..

7. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I upgraded from the X to XS for the camera improvements alone. I’m glad I did.

8. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from the X to the XS Max, but I am considering returning the XS Max - and this is from someone who generally prefers a larger phone and gets a new phone each year. I feel like I am so happy with my X that I am pretty much 'wasting' over $2000 AUD by keeping the XS Max. The X feels better to hold (and I have large hands) and I prefer the screen temperature of the X. I am only getting about 30 minutes more battery per day. The only real reason to keep the XS Max for me would be the camera, since I recently sold off all my DLSR gear.

9. meikdunj macrumors regular

X to XS Max. Great being back to the big screen.

10. mpshah27 macrumors newbie

mpshah27

Went from the X to the XS Max. It's been 3 days and honestly I'm thinking of exchanging the Max for the XS. This thing is HUGE! Its not fun handling such a big phone in your day to day routine.

11. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

X to XS here. Same color too, so I didn’t do it to show off the latest phone, I did it because I update every year; I enjoy the improvements, and I’m really happy with the better camera this year.

12. Ifti macrumors 68020

Ifti

I went from a 6S+ to the X, and as I was used to the larger size the X never 'felt right' for me. Even though the screen size was the same.
    Hence Im waiting for my XS Max to arrive. I think I'll be happier with a larger handset, and the larger screen will be awesome.
    I plan to sell the X to offset the cost, and keep the XS Max for another 2-3 years now.

13. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

Upgraded from an x to an X’s max as well, it’s great to be back on plus sized iPhones.

14. jiangning macrumors member

I went from X to Max to try the bigger size.
    However, I’d get XS if Max turns out too big for me, simply for the larger camera sensor.

I strongly disagree with people saying XS is not a worthy upgrade for X users. I’d say if you’re someone who cares a lot about image quality from a phone and is stuck with Apple (i.e, won’t consider Pixel, Samsung, or Huawei), then upgrading to XS makes total sense.

15. dsampley macrumors 6502

dsampley

I also upgraded from the X to xs max. The larger screen just feels more comfortable for me to read and use. The weight does not feel any different to me.

16. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

Wouldn't this be a downgrade with all the reception issues of the XS ?

17. M1ckab macrumors newbie

M1ckab

Went from x to Xs for the Dual-SIM and improved photos - just got to wait for esim now :)

18. dan-K macrumors 6502

I upgraded from an X to the XS Max. I'll be honest, before upgrading I wasn't sure if it was even worth it myself, but as soon as I opened the box and started using the phone, I couldn't be happier with it. The bigger screen really makes all the difference and it's a joy to use.

19. cbarnes3121 macrumors member

i upgraded from the x to the xs max all because of the size and that i always upgrade every year. this year i went back to gold being that the x didn't come in gold im happy

20. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

OP specifically wants to hear from those who upgraded X to XS, yet the Max people completely ignore that. You'd think they would be able to read a bit better with those bigger screens, but I guess not. xD

21. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I went from X to XS and there really isn't much difference. Yes everything may happen .2 seconds faster but the X was never slow so its really hard to tell if you aren't holding the phones side by side. The camera is better in low light but for daytime pics I haven't seen a difference. The most noticeable thing really is the speakers. They are louder and do sound better than the X. I'm still up in the air for weather or not I will keep it but I can say if you are happy with the X I would recommend sitting this one out. It does NOT feel like a new phone.

22. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I am just for the bigger screen size. Other than that, I love my X.

23. vhl71 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like most of you have gone from X to XS Max..Not many went with XS..
    I cannot use any large phones - just dont feel comfortable carrying a phablet around.

So i guess no upgrade for me this year then!!

24. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

X to Xs Max here. Everything is better. I like the size, almost completely used to it by now, cameras are much better, Face ID is almost perfect for me, speed increase is noticeable. I’m happy with it for $4 more a month.

25. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Here are my thoughts:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/anyone-go-from-iphone-x-to-iphone-xs-not-max.2142372/

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...phone-x-but-not-iphone-xs-any-others.2142479/

And there’s this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-momentary-stuttering-after-inactivity.2141542/

I’d say if you have the X, you don’t need to upgrade to the XS. I’m very highly considering returning my XS.