Anyone upgraded to 16GB iPhone while keeping the old iPhone on AT&T contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blueskybyway, Apr 4, 2008.

1. blueskybyway macrumors member

I want to upgrade to the 2nd generation iPhone when it comes out. Seems it could be soon given the rumors.

I will give the old one to a family member and they will receive a new number from AT&T while I switch my current number to the new model.

My question is, if anyone has been through this process yet, upgrading to a 16GB phone, how did it work? I'm assuming you plugged in your 16GB phone, activated it, which made your old phone dormant. How then, did you get a new number in the old phone? Did you restore it to its original state, then go through the activation process?

Thanks.

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

go to an AT&T and ask them to buy a SIM for your iPhone. Then activate the old iPhone again with new AT&T Sim.

3. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

When you get the new phone you should KEEP the sim from your old phone and put the new sim in the old phone. The reason i say this is because you shouldn't have to reactivate your phone just because your upgraded. This way you keep your phone number and don't extend your contact.