Anyone upgrading from an iPhone 4 to a 6 or 6+?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I am curious with those MacRumors members who have held onto the iP4 all this time to now upgrade four generations of iPhone to the 6 (+).

Your experiences? And oddly- what took you so long?

Ry&EmsMom

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
Yep-I went from a 4S to a 6. I wasn't in any rush to upgrade and was fine with my old one. Now that I have a 6, the 4S looks SO small in comparison! I am glad I waited. My husband was also going to upgrade his phone with me but a year ago he lost his and got a 5S. Probably the best option for him though because he is a bit more reluctant about the larger screen size.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
I am curious with those MacRumors members who have held onto the iP4 all this time to now upgrade four generations of iPhone to the 6 (+).

Your experiences? And oddly- what took you so long?
I'm one of the few still using my iPhone 4 picked up in September of 2010. I still have the original box with the AT&T recipe inside of if somewhere in my closet. I've done some maintenance over the years; notably a battery replacement last fall and a new glass back just a few weeks ago due to a scratched camera lens. Other than that the phone operates fine. In terms of software iOS 7 in a way signaled the coming end of an era with the onboard GPU showing its age. iOS 7.1 did improve the experience quite a bit, though.

I'm not in a big rush to upgrade at this time. The phone still does what it was intended to do without comprising any features. At this rate I can see myself getting another year or so out of it before applications stop supporting it. At that point I'll reevaluate my options.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I've still got an iPhone 4. I've been holding out for a larger/wider screen. Just ordered 2 iPhone 6 phones -- one for me, one for my wife.

nic78

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I went from a iPhone 4 to a iPhone 6 4.7. Amazing difference, so fast so responsive. I love it.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I've had 2 of the iPhone 4.
It's great, but it's time to move on. I'm planning on getting an iPhone 6 sometime in October/November/December.

:D

Rideherhard

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2010
I went from iPhone 4 to the 6... 16gb was way too small and the bigger screen was what I wanted. Didn't upgrade in the past as screen wasn't that big of a difference. So far really like the iPhone 6, battery life isn't as good as I thought it would be but I just did the update and I think it's getting better battery life now, I'll have to wait and see.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68020
Feb 24, 2009
My wife went to a 6 from a 4. She loves it.

I don't even think the screen is the best part for her. The 4 on iOS 7 was like running Mavericks on a G3 iMac.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
You all with 4 & 4s do know you can get $200 from your carrier for those phones I hope?

tperadenic

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
You all with 4 & 4s do know you can get $200 from your carrier for those phones I hope?

Never heard of this before. I'm in Canada so doubt it applies but still interested in knowing what the deal is.

I've got a 4 and just ordered a 6. The 4 still works fine but really seems slow when I use my wife's iphone 5. The 6 should be even better.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Never heard of this before. I'm in Canada so doubt it applies but still interested in knowing what the deal is.

I've got a 4 and just ordered a 6. The 4 still works fine but really seems slow when I use my wife's iphone 5. The 6 should be even better.
All major US carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint)

Will give you $200 for old iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c or $300 for old iPhone 5s towards a purchase of a new iPhone 6/6+

adn rcd dly

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I'm planning on going from my 4S to a 6+. What took me so long was mostly the fact that my brother took my upgrade and then his own. So I had to wait quite a bit. I became eligible in June but knew a new phone was on its way, so I waited longer. :) Now I'm just waiting for them to be in stock

MrRedHat

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I’m still on an iPhone 4. We got them in Sept of 2010. We ordered new iPhone 6+’s and are still waiting for them. Our iPhone 4’s are so slow we want to throw them.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
All major US carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint)

Will give you $200 for old iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c or $300 for old iPhone 5s towards a purchase of a new iPhone 6/6+
Sadly not in Canada my carrier (Virgin) was only going to give me $56 so I sold it for $150 and was able to upgrade to the 5s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.