Anyone use a 13 AND a 15 inch Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeArtworks, Jul 20, 2017.

1. MikeArtworks macrumors regular

Hey,

I've currently got a 13 inch MacBook Pro (touch bar), and I do a lot of graphic design, and will start University next year.

When I work at home, sometimes I find the 13 inch macbook a bit too small, and it could be a bit more snappy.

I'm thinking of buying either a 15 inch MacBook Pro (touch bar) with max GPU for all renders etc I do, or an iMac. However, the iMac doesn't really fit my needs (what I want), as it's not portable. I'd like something to bring to friends, coffee shops (Starbucks etc) etc..

So I thought that I could just use the 13 inch one for School, keep it in my School bag for most of the time, and then use the 15 at home.

Anyone here that has both a 13 inch Macbook and a 15 inch Macbook (pro)? Please tell me how you use them both, and if it's good or not to have.

Thanks

- Mike

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Getting both a 13" and a 15" would be an extremely exorbitant idea. The 15" is still a portable machine, very little difference in reality. If power is a concern then just get the 15" and that fits all your needs. If you need something more powerful and also something portable, then you get the 13" plus an iMac (The 4K if you ever need to move it, but both are AIO's and so a lot more portable than a tower).

I think the closest you'll get is someone with a 15" and a 12". But the 13" and 15" is an odd combo, would you own a 10.5" iPad and a 12.9" iPad?

3. MikeArtworks thread starter macrumors regular

What I'm worried about is the 15 inch being to big for in School?

4. robvas macrumors 68030

I have both the 13 and 15, however in a perfect world I would get a Retina MacBook + 27" iMac

5. jerryk macrumors 68040

I would get the new iMac. More power, bigger screen, and upgradable. And then use the 13 (or a 12 inch MB) for mobile work.

Another option is get a 13 OR 15" and external monitor, keyboard, mouse setup. Then you always have everything in one place and no need to sync files and other data between machines.

6. Patcell macrumors 6502

I used a 15 retina MacBook Pro all through School. We even had some old-school lecture halls with the tiny desks, and I never had an issue using my machine. Now I have a 2017 15" and it is considerably more portable than my previous machine.

I think you will find the 15" adequate for your needs and sufficiently portable. No reason to have both...

7. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have both 2016 15" Touch bar and a base 13" 2016. Definitely don't need both. Love the form of the 13" and I take it out and about with me everywhere. I am retired so just out for Starbucks and such. Would sell the 15" but would mist the finger print id. Not so much the touch bar.

8. pallymore, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017

pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

I don't think 15inch is going to be too big for school.
    It's still very portable unless you are traveling (e.g. flying) with it A LOT.

For 3D graphics design you will want the fastest GPU possible, but if you are only doing 2D graphics, you may wanna consider getting a faster CPU instead if your budget is limited.

I too think getting both the 13 and the 15 is odd. If you need a more powerful machine when you are not moving, you may wanna look into iMacs - they are much more powerful than the 15inch at the same price point, and you get a much larger, stunning display.