Anyone use a 2TB SATAII drive in the 2009 Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Mar 29, 2009.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Hey all, i'm planning on buying a 2TB SATA drive for my octoPro. When I bought the Mac Pro last week I read that the machine recognizes 4TB of hard drive space. I want to know if I should buy a 2TB drive and if it will be recognized. I also know they have the 1.5TB drives...do those work? If not, then I'm left to buying the 1TB Black Caviar.

Thanks in advance for any information!

2. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

No reason why it can't. Ive never heard of a rig with a limit regarding Hard drive space.

3. h.21 macrumors member

There is no limit to the size of the drives the Mac Pro can see. 4 TB is the maximum Apple offers because it looks bad to charge their standard margins on an already expensive 2 TB hard drive. You could put 4 x 100 PB SATA SSD drives in your box and it would run fine.

Welcome to the forums but try doing a search next time.

4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've got 4x2TB drives in my 2008 OctoMac Pro with no problems. Can't imagine the 2009 is any different.

Pretty sure the OP has been here a lot longer than you think, and longer than you have...

5. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah...I've been around here for quite some time. Yah, I've searched with no specific MR member questioning hard drive limitation. Only time I recalled HD limitations were back in the early part of this decade where XP could read up to a certain amount of HD space before I'd have to partition 1 drive as two.... dunno about OS X's limits.

Hey MovieCutter...know any place with great deals on 2TB drives? ^_^ if so...pm me. Thanks

6. zcoolxp macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 mac pro with 2x2tb wd drives no problems at all

7. Mac Husky macrumors regular

Western Digital has the WD20EADS - big, quiet but not being one of the fastest.

Some "interesting" view from desktopreview.com:

"Two terabytes is equal to 2000 gigabytes or two million megabytes. If you back up your system onto single layer DVDs, you’d have to use 426 discs to completely back this up. If it takes you 12 minutes to completely burn a disc, it would take you more than three and a half days straight, not including sleep or bathroom breaks.

You can record every second of your life in compressed DVD quality video for over a year and still not fill this drive up. If you’d rather just record your own personal soundtrack (MP3, not WAV), you’d have to spend eight years doing so before you could fill it up. This drive can fit the collected works of Beethoven a hundred times over, or all the printed pages made from the pulp of a hundred thousand trees. You’d only need five of them to back up everything in the U.S. Library of Congress. In other words, this thing has a lot of space.

When it comes to raw performance, you have to remember that this is part of Western Digital’s power-friendly series of drives. That means that some trades are made in favor of power efficiency over pure speed. That’s not to say that the drive is slow, however, because it simply isn’t, thanks in part due to its massive storage space. As areal density (the amount of data stored within a certain area of the physical disk) rises, so does the speed of the drive, since the head doesn’t have to travel as far to read the same amount of data."