Anyone use a 3G phone with their MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Skystar, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Skystar macrumors 6502

I have an AT&T Express 3G card I use to use with my MBP (which I sold yesterday). I am picking up a MacBook Air today during my lunchbreak :D. Since the MBA does not have an express slot, I have the following options for high speed internet on the go:

1. Get a USB 3G Modem or get a USB adapter for my current express card. The only problem is it would stick out and take up the only USB port on the MBA.

2. Get a 3G phone capable of sharing the connection over bluetooth. It would look seemless, but I would have to make sure the phone is charged. I currently use an iPhone as my main phone.

I take a train ride everyday to and from work, so I've gotten used to (spoiled?) having high speed internet. If I go with option 2, I would probably get a phone that is not that feature packed, I just want a stable and reliable connection, as thats all I would be using it for. Thanks

2. glitch44 macrumors 65816

3. Skystar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link! Those photos really help. I'm not thinking of just getting an adapter for my express card, maybe down the line it will be more compatible with newer notebooks. You're right, it would be a drag to carry another phone just for that purpose. Thanks

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

5. Skystar thread starter macrumors 6502

I've actually thought of sharing my connection using the built in airport of my MBP on the train. There is 3G signal about 80% of the ride home. A lot of people use laptops on my train, no macs though... :rolleyes:

6. Jimmie Geddes macrumors regular

I use my MacBook Air and connect via BT DUN with my Sprint Treo 755p. It works great when WiFi isn't an option.

7. arcanic macrumors regular

arcanic

I use the Verizon UM150 USB modem....it fits and works great.

:apple:Arc:apple:

8. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Another vote for the UM150 from Verizon. Works and fits perfectly.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

MBA + BT DUN on my Verizon BlackBerry 7130e. It's a throttled-down 3G experience, but def. faster than 1X. :)

10. Skystar thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems that Verizon UM150 usb device is similar in form factor to the AT&T USB Connect 881. Maybe I should just go trade my express card in for one of those, and guarantee myself compatibility with any laptop/desktop.

11. GenFranco macrumors newbie

3g

I had a similar dilemma, but I decided to go with 881USB Att for the following:

1) it matches the finish if the mba
    2) i was worried about bluetooth sucking down the battery
    3) my buddy and I tried a test with him tethered using bluetooth vs. my 881U and my speed was 3x using a web site testing program
    4) The fact that the 881USB has is owns battery is a plus and I dont have to drain my cell phone (bt plus 3g will drain almost any phone fast), and if you are like me, you are more worried about your phone battery going out and less about your mba battery.

12. rom macrumors regular

MBA paired with a Nokia E61. Works without problems.

Got a ZTE USB HSDPA modem and it works well, too. :D

13. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

This might not matter to you but I have my Macbook Air connected to my SDA and I am using the EDGE connection. I know it is not that fast as lots of other people but its better then having nothing at all is good enough for checking e-mail and a stream from NPR.