Anyone use a 4S for global roaming?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alangore, Jun 3, 2014.

1. alangore macrumors newbie

When I went to Europe for five weeks in April, I upgraded my Verizon account for Global Roaming. The website leads you through a qualification check that shows a 4S as being eligible for use on GSM networks in Europe.

Unfortunately, I got No Service everywhere I went. Is there a problem with Verizon's implementation of global roaming, or does it mean that the GSM side of my phone, not used in the US, is defective?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you have a verizon sim inside your 4S?
    Next time use a verizon iphone 5, 5S or 5C.
    Then you can use local gsm sims without having to pay for global roaming charges. Just prepaid local sims and when you're done you throw the sim out.

3. alangore thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the Verizon site, I could call them to unlock if I wanted to use another carrier's SIM. But that's not what I wanted to do - i wanted to keep my Verizon SIM, so I could have my IT customers call me at my regular number and leave voicemails. That way, I didn't have to announce to the world that I would be out of town for five weeks, and by picking my reply window carefully (nine-hour time difference) I could talk people through any crucial problems.

As it was, being able to Skype over WiFi sufficed for most of my callout needs. But it didn't help in maintaining customer contact as above, and it failed me on a couple of crucial occasions when I needed to call a local contact for pickups at small train stations, and there was no WiFi.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats weird.
    It should have been able to roam on gsm networks assuming Verizon did everything they should on their end to enable that on your account with a properly provisioned gsm sim inside your 4S.

5. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

When this happens it means that Verizon didn't do all they were suppose to. Same with att. Every thing was set before Europe, but didn't work. Quick call to international help and and big 'whoops' and the problem solved.