Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So looking at one of my options for running the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator, if my MBP 16" w/ external display does not cut it (thermally), my second option is to use my Dell desktop computer w/ Radeon 5500 card.

Does anyone know/suggest a monitor that would work with a Dell eSATA / HDMI machine ?

I found this on Dell's site:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...dgf/apd/210-atyt/monitors-monitor-accessories
S3220DGF_group-shot.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thank you for the link - very helpful.
Now trying to find a under $500 monitor made by Dell that is IPS.

:eek:
Go with LG, I have a 34" ultra-wide - its only a 60Hz panel, but LG is the panel supplier to many companies like dell so you get the same quality.

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Thanks for your info - I am stuck with Dell because I have a $100 credit to apply on any Dell purchase.
Unfortunately Dell only carries the LG televisions. No gaming monitors...

Alienware was what I was thinking since it's just under $500.
Or the 32" curved.

At least I know to look for IPS screens.
Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2720HF

Reactions: maflynn

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So I think I am going to bite the bullet and get the Dell Alienware 27" gaming monitor since it has 4K resolution and 1ms response time.

Final price with their discount, minus 10% extra, taxes included and $100 off from American Express will net cost me $353:

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 7.08.56 AM.png

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I got the LG UK850 this past week as it's on sale for $405, and really really like it. I would say the only downside to it so far is that the colors are very much made for consumers / gamers as it comes from the factory very saturated and vibrant. I had to tone it down a little bit and will be doing further calibrating once I have the time, but besides that it has beautiful industrial design and it's the perfect size. 4K + USB-C with charging is very future proof as well!

Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I got the LG UK850 this past week as it's on sale for $405, and really really like it. I would say the only downside to it so far is that the colors are very much made for consumers / gamers as it comes from the factory very saturated and vibrant. I had to tone it down a little bit and will be doing further calibrating once I have the time, but besides that it has beautiful industrial design and it's the perfect size. 4K + USB-C with charging is very future proof as well!

Very nice monitor at a very nice price too.

I like your monitor because it has all 3 ports: HDMI, DP, & USB-C which would give the best flexibility between my 16" MBP and the Dell PC which uses eSATA DP.

I am going to risk this Alienware display without the USB-C and use an Apple TB3-HDMI dongle....

I needed the 240Hz refresh rate for gaming as this will be my Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 exclusive setup....

Reactions: TSE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.