Anyone use a high def camera and iMovie

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Matt-Man-Plus, May 10, 2009.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

Looking for a good hard drive type high def camera that plays well with iMovie. Looking for one that doesn't require any file type conversions. Just want to be able to import the movie right into iMovie without hassles. What are you guys using?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

from my understanding, hard drive recorders using HD will record in the AVCHD format which will ALWAYS require conversion by iMovie into AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec)... and then you can edit from there...

of course, this conversion happens behind the scenes.. you just hook your camcorder up .. fire up imovie, which will recognise it.. select what clips you want and usually it will import on a 1:1 basis (ie, for every 1 minute of footage, it will take 1 min to transfer to mac) - could depend on your mac of course..

as for which HDD camcorders? sony sr12 is a decent runner.. but you could also search around the forums as this type of stuff always crops up

3. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have a Canon HG10 and use it with iMovie and like the results, but yes I do not believe you can get around the conversion step described above.

4. DoctorMacbook macrumors newbie

I have a Sony CX11 which is fantastic and couldnt recommend it enough.
    I can easily import into iMovie and edit.
    Only problem is with the conversion described above, 4GB of HD footage converts into about 20GB.

IT SUCKS!!!

Check out

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=696146

5. desiringGod macrumors regular

Why does it suck? It is simply compressing the video to allow for longer shooting on a card so that you can get more footage on a smaller card. Video takes a lot of hard drive space.

Get an external harddrive to put you video on after your done and you will be fine.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i have a samsung HD camcorder (1080P) and i use iMovie. i like it