Anyone use a iSkin ProTouch XT Apple Keyboard Protector??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Veritas&Equitas, May 2, 2007.

1. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I'm looking to get one of these for my keyboard, but I'm just wondering if it's worth the $30? Is it too hard to type on? Does it change the feel of typing? Does it really make a difference? I have a dog, and she gets hair everywhere, so I'm wondering if I should pony up the dough to buy one of these...experiences anyone?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have an iSkin on my MacBook Pro. It changes the texture of the keys and you have to press a bit harder, but that's not that noticeable. The iSkin also makes the keys quieter. I really like my iSkin, I wouldn't get a laptop without one.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I had one and didn't like the feel of it so I gifted it to a friend.

That said, I live alone (no kids, no pets) and don't eat/drink near my keyboard, my friend has two children (ages 1 and 5) and has already gone thru one keyboard since he got his computer last year. He loves it.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Who says it makes pressing keys harder???
    I don't get that comment.

Anyway, I've had an iSkin (I call it a keyboard condom) on my iBook from day one and it is super great. I think it actually makes typing easier cause it adds a bit more texture when typing. I highly recommend one especially if you have dog hair everywhere. Believe me, the iSkin will keep your keyboard clean!

5. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

I have one both on my MBP and my desktop keyboard. It takes a little getting used to, but I'm now up to speed typing properly (about 60 wpm). One problem with the desktop keyboard is that occasionally the iSkin gets trapped between the keys at the edges of the keyboard and the clear surround of the keyboard, with the result that the keys at the edges get stuck down. However, this seems to be happening to me less now since I'm probably more aware of it when I'm typing.

6. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yes, this happens to me I have only had mine for a month so far though. Quite annoying if you are into gaming.

7. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

I bought one the other day along with a new keyboard after seeing the state my BT keyboard got into with coffee, crumbs and worse.

But I have this same problem - for typing it's actually very nice, softens the keys and indeed dampens the sound but after a few minutes one of the keys on the edge gets stuck - spacebar more often than not and you have to physically pull it out.

Seems like a major design flaw to me - they should have made the edge so it overlapped the outside of the keyboard base by a centimeter or so, this would avoid the key-stick, keep it well in place and also make the nickname "condom" doubly true :)

So I've stopped using it except for when I happen to have some food or drink at my desk. On the basis of my experience I can't recommend it.

8. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks for all the replies guys! I game a bit, so the key sticking would be a major issue for me. I appreciate all the responses!

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Even though it seems like you (the OP) have already come to a decision, figure I might as well weigh in, too.

Had one for my 12" PB and then iBook. Was great with the iBook because the KB was really noisy and not the greatest feeling KB.

Got one for my MB. I use it when I'm at my parent's house because my two cats are there and I don't need for their hairs to get anywhere near the innards of my baby. :p

I agree with a poster that it does make for some keyboards to be harder to type fast with (for example, the PB and the MB), whereas I felt it was an aid to my typing on the iBook. Look around, iSkins can be found for $10 or so on eBay even. So give it a shot, it's not all that much money in the grand scheme of things.

10. Veritas&Equitas thread starter macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Thanks for the response, but I have looked around for the iSkin my my bluetooth Apple keyboard, and the cheapest I can find is on eBay, and it's around $27 shipped. Perhaps you're talking about the notebook line?

11. nohma macrumors newbie

I have that iSkin. And I think it's great. Sure, it got between the edges at the beginning, but that doesn't happen anymore. I think because it got more flexible during use. It also makes typing much more fun: keys are a lot nicer to touch. Also, I have a friend Anna that absolutely despises touching all things rubber or plastic. Rubber gloves make her go bananas. This is why I christened that iSkin 'the anti-Anna protection'. Surprisingly, when I showed it to her, she really liked how it felt, it's just very nice on your fingers (she didn't like the feel of the bottom side of the skin though, that's much more of a 'sticky' rubber, as opposed to the top side, which is soft).

12. j3tang macrumors regular

i've got one for my macbook and i agree with what some people have mentioned about it being not as nice to type on, but it keeps my macbook clean though :)

every once in a while, i lift up the skin and look at the keyboard and see how white an clean it is ... soooo sooooooothing :D well worth the $7 i paid on ebay :)

on another note, the skin seems a little thick, which is probably why it seems to make typing on it not as nice. I purchased a skin for my gf's Fujitsu laptop, and it was reeeeeaaaaally thin ... the material was not as 'rubbery' as my macbook skin. that seems to retain the original typing feel on her keyboard.

13. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I find that instead of pressing anywhere on the key you kind of have to hit the center of the key, at least on a macbook. The squareness of the keys (no concaveness) makes the key a bit more rigid with the iSkin, but you get used to it. Also, it's not as 'rubbery' as you might expect.