Anyone use a Logitech G9 mouse with Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nagromme, Jun 16, 2008.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I know it's not officially supported, but I have the ControllerMate driver so I expect that will do fine. But I have a few questions:

1. Can you make the wheel click ("normal" feel) instead of spinning free? (That switch on the bottom--does it work on Mac?)

2. Does your Mac know when you click the wheel button? (Some other Logitech mice use wheel-click to toggle free spinning, so the Mac never receives middle clicks.)

3. Can you change the DPI? (Not in software, I'm sure, but do the +/- buttons work?)

4. Is your DPI choice stored and remembered?

5. Does the Profile button on the bottom do anything? (I don't need that--just curious.)

TIA!

2. rthall macrumors newbie

1. Yes, It is a physical switch so it works quite nicely.
    2. All buttons seem to be detected but not used by defalt in OSX. The extra buttons actually show up as an undetected keyboard to OSX.
    3. DPI changes work as long as you have programmed it.
    4. The mouse can store 5 different profiles
    5. The button on the bottom is the only way to access the profiles since OSX has not concept of them.

I have the setpoint software installed in my bootcamp partition. If I need to make any changes, I make them from there. The mouse store up to 5 profiles in the mouse so the OS does not matter.

I have used my mouse the came with my iMac a grand total of 5 minutes before I put the mouse back in the box. I love the feel of the G9.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Cool--thanks!

I decided to go cheaper and get a G5, once I realized it has the same number of buttons as the G9. It was nice! EVERY feature was supported on Mac out of the box. However.... the G5 would skip a little in certain situations! Like sniping or drawing. It has a widely-known firmware bug and you need a Windows-only download to fix the skipping.

So I took it back for a refund, and Googled to see if G9 shares that same bug. I couldn't tell. Some people seemed to think it did. That's OK if you have SetPoint--it will fix the bug anyway. But my Windows is VMWare and SetPoint won't work in virtual machines.

Too bad--I like the G5 and G9 both, if it weren't for the bad firmware risk.

So no G9 for me :( And in all the world, it seems that ONLY the G9 and G5 meet my mouse requirements:

1. High-DPI tracking
    2. Two side buttons
    3. 4-way scrolling
    4. Not wireless, because that supposedly reduces accuracy (plus charging hassle)

I'm giving up on my requirements and getting a VX Revolution I think. It has official Mac support and TWELVE programmable buttons (counting scroll) :)