Anyone use a PCI slot fan in a G4?

InuNacho

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Has anyone had any experience with those PCI slot fans in a graphite G4? Do they do any actual good if placed directly below the gpu or would it be a waste of money?

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try if you're having graphics card overheating issues. If you're not, then I wouldn't do it. Macs are designed with airflow in mind, and adding fans that don't belong could create heat issues elsewhere.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
I had one in my MDD G4 for a while (before I used up all the expansion slots with real cards). I found that it never made any real difference in temperatures, only in noise ;)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Has anyone had any experience with those PCI slot fans in a graphite G4? Do they do any actual good if placed directly below the gpu or would it be a waste of money?
I have put some into various PCs and older G4 towers. They do help sometimes but it really depends on the card's design and the heatsink's efficacy. What card are you planning on using this with?

desantii

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2006
Aurora, IL
To me I'd rather do a refurbish of the main fans if they are old rather than put more fans in....additional noise

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.