Anyone use a reliable .png converter?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BornToMac, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Do any of you guys know of a good .png converter for files taken off of the iPhone?

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Ever tried renaming it photo.png? :rolleyes:

You might have to do that in some sort of photo editing program depending on your OS, but with Linux a simple rename is all. Just open it with your favourite editor, then go to File, Save As, then name it and save it as a .png.

3. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Right, or I could just do that on my desktop. However, when I take a .png image off of my iPhone and try to open it in photoshop or preview, it doesn't recognize the image. So what I am looking for is a converter or method to open / modify those files.

4. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I saw a utility that did this a while back.
    Don't remember what it was called, but just search around on Google a bit. That's how I found it.

5. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

So your software wont recognise the photos before, or after renaming them? You should be able to just open the .jpg files that are from the phone into some photo editing software, then save it as a .png.

I think on Mac if you rename it a different file type it may corrupt it, not sure though. I can't check because I'm monitor-less at the moment :p:p

And on Windows you can right click, then go to "Convert to". That should work.

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Modmyi gave a link to this website, which will convert the apple png file for you to an editable png format:

http://zope.release78.org/beta2/iconvert/

I haven't used it myself but Modmyi are a good source of iphone stuff.

7. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

^^Before. Photoshop will regcognize png files without a problem. However, if you take a default image off of your iPhone (one of the icons, or a slider for example) it won't open (i was told that this is so the iphone can read these files easier). These files are .png and not jpeg. I am looking for a converter for those files specifically. I can convert any image to a png, with the exception of those on the iphone, and once I have viewed/ediited the image and saved it as a .png I can but it back on the phone without a problem. It is just the default images you remove through ssh that won't work. Make sense?

8. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

@Moi un Mouton. I had seen that site before, and I am looking for something similar to that. However, when I try to use their converter, it doesn't seem to work and I always get a "server error" message. :(

9. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

iPhonePNG
    Command line utility. Works perfect.
    Read the article for the 'modified version'...

10. siorai macrumors 6502

11. ckong macrumors regular

I just tried this Python version by Axel E. Brzostowski. Here is the info:

iPhone PNG Images Normalizer
    http://www.axelbrz.com.ar/?mod=iphone-png-images-normalizer

To run it, type "python ipin.py icon.png" where icon.png is the file you want to convert.

I've tried this on an Ubuntu server with Python 2.5.2. I was going to try it on the iPhone directly, but the Python package for that expands to 40MB and I don't plan to convert that often.

Thanks to Axel for creating this version.

12. foob macrumors 6502

foob

I use that too. If you run it without arguments, it will normalize all pngs in the directory.

13. axelbrz macrumors newbie

It's an honor for me to have been helpful ;-)

You're welcome!

14. Autinhorse macrumors newbie

Java version

After searching on web for this topic, I decide to make a Java version by myself. It can run on any platform, and convert a bundle of files by one click.
    Here you can find Jar file and source code of it.
    Hope it can be helpful.
    PNGConverter

15. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The python script is nice but it only works for some files on 5.x pngs.

For example I wanted to theme the mobilenotes.app. It only converted 15 out of 41 images. I wonder why?

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I could never get anything that works reliably. The only way I can do it is:

Open iFile on the iPhone, find image, save to camera roll, then email them to myself.

17. AdrianK macrumors 68020

18. hackthatphone, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Hmm nice Xcode.

Grab (the open source modified version of) pngcrush out of Xcode and use this command:

-revert-iphone-optimizations -q GraphicYouWantToConvert.png TheNameYouWantToGiveTheNewGraphic.png