Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have the MK, and I love it, but I just ordered an M1 MBA for doing the couple things I just can’t seem to manage easily on my iPP.

I don’t really want both devices to be low where I’m always looking down, so I was considering putting my iPP up on a stand more at eye level, and just getting a good, flat little keyboard to use with it. That way when I am using sidecar (if I can figure THAT out), I’ll at least have one device that’s more elevated.

Does that make any sense? Does anyone have any suggestions?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I have the MK, and I love it, but I just ordered an M1 MBA for doing the couple things I just can’t seem to manage easily on my iPP.

I don’t really want both devices to be low where I’m always looking down, so I was considering putting my iPP up on a stand more at eye level, and just getting a good, flat little keyboard to use with it. That way when I am using sidecar (if I can figure THAT out), I’ll at least have one device that’s more elevated.

Does that make any sense? Does anyone have any suggestions?

We need a laptop. But wondering if an iPad will do. I would get a stand and keyboard.

Are you using an iPad for your primary computer needs?

Last edited:

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074J159V5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Ftv0FbP2VR3G3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the stand I use for my 11” Pro. I have it pretty vertical since the work from home. It’s really stable for me. I also have the Logitech K380 keyboard that I place on top of the stand..and I use it in that location. Foot print wise, it’s pretty compact excluding keyboard. The stand is pretty heavy so I don’t feel my 11” Pro will fall.

In fact, I’m used to the height of this stand that when I got the iPad Magic Keyboard, I found it placed the iPad too low in comparison. This was one reason I ended up returning the Magic Keyboard (among many other reasons).

Another nice bonus of this stand is you just place the iPad on the stand. No need to fumble with clamps. I have a cheap magnetic cover that’s thin and doesn’t cover the edge of my 11 Pro and the grooves of this stand is wide enough to place the iPad even with the front and back on. I find it really convenient to grab or place the iPad on and off. There’s rubber protectors on the stand so it doesn’t scratch the iPad.

Let us know in your other thread how the MacBook Air works out? A bit like a lot here..the iPad is close enough to get most things done..but its like the last 10% of things that's just a struggle or doesn't work well and just gets really annoying. Kinda wanna get the MacBook Air too and get rid of my 11” Pro..(I still have a Mini 4 and iPhone XR which are fine)

Last edited:
Reactions: ssledoux

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
We need a laptop. But wondering if an iPad will do. I would get a stand and keyboard.

Are you using an iPad for your primary computer needs?

I have been, and I can do almost everything I need (my needs are pretty basic since I no longer work at all). I just have a massive project that needs doing with photos, custom photo books, yearbooks, etc. for our family photos for the last 5-8 years, and trying to figure it all out on an iPad and maneuver around obstacles is just not working. Since I have a lot of free time, and will clearly be able to finally really work on this stuff, I am gonna try the laptop. If I don’t use it for anything else but this, I’ll just sell it or give it to one of my grandkids when I’m done with all my projects.

The price just made more sense for me. We shall see how it goes. ;)

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I have been, and I can do almost everything I need (my needs are pretty basic since I no longer work at all). I just have a massive project that needs doing with photos, custom photo books, yearbooks, etc. for our family photos for the last 5-8 years, and trying to figure it all out on an iPad and maneuver around obstacles is just not working. Since I have a lot of free time, and will clearly be able to finally really work on this stuff, I am gonna try the laptop. If I don’t use it for anything else but this, I’ll just sell it or give it to one of my grandkids when I’m done with all my projects.

The price just made more sense for me. We shall see how it goes. ;)

What laptop you getting or did you get?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
What laptop you getting or did you get?
Well I ordered an M1 Air, but rethinking. May go with Mac mini instead. Doing a bit more research. I wanted to go ahead and get the laptop ordered because the shipping is kind of far out but I’ll cancel and order the Mac mini if I change my mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.