Anyone use a TB SSD as a boot drive?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gnow3623, Oct 31, 2012.

1. gnow3623 macrumors newbie

Rather than install an internal SSD in a 27 in 2011 iMac, I was thinking of getting an external enclosure or the Seagate "sled" and use a Crucial 240gb SSD that I already own and have available. Anyone try this?

----------

Right below me is a thread. Sorry.

2. omvs macrumors 6502

Yes, it can be done. I have an Seagate / OCZ Agility 3 with both OSX and windows booting off it. OSX is trivial, windows requires some tricks to boot off thunderbolt.

Two notes with the seagate adapter:

1> The STAE121 (the sled version) is (or at least was) limited to SATA2 (~250MB/sec). The desktop version (STAE122) apparently goes up to 350MB/sec, but still shy of what a SATA3 SSD can do.

2> Apparently some SSD's consume more power than the seagate adapter can supply - might want to do some searches here and see if your crucial was a problem or not.

3. mihai.ile macrumors member

Now this explains one of my problems with the SSD and now I think it's funny so I share with you:

Some years ago I got an kingston SSD that came in an external case, so I just opened it right away (not even screws were required) and inserted in my laptop and use it since then. This year my laptop died and thought I would still use the kingston SSD in the kingston external case, just to discover that id does not work! (as soon as I start transfer files it disappears from the OS). I had to use another "generic" usb case and it just worked.

So yes, for me lesson learned, it is a good measure to check whether the external case is compatible with the SSD you have :D (and don't be fooled in thinking that the SSD case that may come with the SSD certainly works!)

4. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I have the STAE121 and it is SATA3...I get ~360MB read and write with and OCZ Vertex 4 128GB. The "sled" version does seem to have problems with drives above 256GB, possibly due to lack of power since it uses Thunderbolt for power. I really like my Thunderbolt SSD as a boot drive...I haven't had any disconnects, either.

5. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I get SATAIII speeds as well with mine (or at least when I was using it). Since I have only one TB port and need my iMac to connect to my TV, I gutted my LaCie little big disk Thunderbolt and put the SSD in one side and a HDD on the other side for Time Machine. I get only SATAII speeds through this, but it allows me to have another TB port to daisy chain off of and its still much faster than the internal HDD.