Anyone use an EyeFi Pro card w/ iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Chupa Chupa, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

EyeFi today finally announced with a card that satisfies all my needs: 8GB, RAW, Video, 802.11n speed.

So now my question is, does it work seamlessly with iPhoto, i.e., the pics show up same as-if you plugged the SD card directly into the computer, organized by date, etc., or does it just dump the pics in and you have to sort them out yourself?

2. Galarina macrumors member

Galarina

Be aware that geotagging with the Eye-Fi only works in urban areas because it relies on WiFi hotspots.
    For the wireless import into iPhoto you have to install the Eye Fi Manager which is a web based tool.

3. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You must mean it only works in urban areas. Rural is out in the country. At any rate, not concerned about geotagging. I'll never use that function as it's not even 98% accurate. My only concern is that I can just turn my camera on and it will seamlessly dump my pics to iPhoto and when I go to iPhoto everything will be already organized by date.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I've been using an "Eye-Fi Explore Video" for awhile now, and I turned off the automatic-upload-to-computer function.

The big problem to me was that it uploads first to "the cloud" (Eye-Fi's servers,) then downloads from there to your computer. And it only downloads to your computer when you interact with it. Even if I leave iPhoto running and sitting as my foreground application, it will only import if I click on the iPhoto window. Not generally a huge deal, but when you sit at the computer expecting that the 20 pictures you just took would be already imported, then have to sit around for another minute, it's a little frustrating.

(The Eye-Fi Manager shows them 'uploading' immediately, the delay is in the import to iPhoto.)

5. Galarina macrumors member

Galarina

You're absolutely right! I wanted to say urban. Sorry for causing confusion.

6. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Really interested in that as well. Sounds like a great product, but I have a question about the write speed.

Is it Extreme II, III or IV?

I need at least Extreme III for my speed work.

7. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Extreme is a SanDisk marketing term. The SD Card Assoc. speed specs are Class 2, 4, and 6. Class 6 is the fastest spec though not all Class 6 cards are created equally. However, I believe Eye Fi uses Lexar which are among the best.

8. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

RHVC59

I am using an Eye-Fi Pro card, in my Nikon D80. For the most part I am very hapy with it. It is nice to have it the images show up on my computer. I use CS3, and the Eye-fi import bypasses the bridge photo import interface. This does not allow me to add my preferred metadata template or chainge the name of the files coming onto my machine. This does add extra steps to my workflow. but that is life. I am allow to specify what folder to put the new photos in, and the photos are in dated files. ie photos/Eye-fi/2009-01-05.

I also like the ability to set up an Ad-hoc network to upload photos at work or in the field when I am away from my network.

One annoying issue is battery drain. On the D80, to use the auto upload, one must set option camera setting 28 Meter-Off to 30 min. One can almost see the battery drain. I generally set it to Meter-Off , in 4 sec when I am out shooting, and only alter the setting to 30 min. when I actually want to upload the images. Also the upload is not blazingly fast, maybe the Eye-Fi Pro 2X's upload will be faster...

For the most part I am happy with my card.

9. MacReader, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

MacReader macrumors newbie

"I've been using an "Eye-Fi Explore Video" for awhile now, and I turned off the automatic-upload-to-computer function.

The big problem to me was that it uploads first to "the cloud" (Eye-Fi's servers,) then downloads from there to your computer. And it only downloads to your computer when you interact with it. Even if I leave iPhoto running and sitting as my foreground application, it will only import if I click on the iPhoto window. Not generally a huge deal, but when you sit at the computer expecting that the 20 pictures you just took would be already imported, then have to sit around for another minute, it's a little frustrating."

I'm quite shocked at this. I thought it was going through my router to server software on my computer. No d@mned way I want my photos on iPhoto's cloud. Companies archive these things, even when they say they don't.

And the whole point of getting wireless was to make it seamless. I take photos, they upload. Not I take photos, I go to the computer, then they upload.

And what is this BS about compatibility with the Nikon D80? They say on their site No Known Issues and then it has the same issues as the later cards where you have to turn it on and off after every picture after setting the 30 minute option?

Does anyone know a better solution? I'm sending back this piece of junk.

Oh, by the way. My Explore Video pics aren't even uploading at all.

I have the latest software and firmware. I have a Nikon D80. I have the Firewall exception set in my preferences. My router is doing a great job of routing all my other wireless devices. I'm usually only 10 to 30 feet from the router (not in the same room).

Oh, I noticed in the Eye-Fi help files just now that they say you "should" be okay if you're 15–20 feet away "line of sight." Are they kidding? We're supposed to be in the same room as the router (that's the only way you get line of sight) and we "should" be okay? My router is never going to be in the same room as my copy stand. The copy stand is above the router (through the floor).

So what gives?

I desperately need a wireless solution for my D80. I'm taking production photos, lots of them, with a copy stand.