Anyone use an non-apple branded battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chiefroastbeef, Dec 24, 2009.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hi folks,

I had my original battery replaced right before the 1st year ended. Half year later since the replacement of a brand new Apple battery, with battery cycling done once if not twice every week, it shows 29% health with 68 cycles on coconut battery, and would shut the computer off randomly. I took it to apple repair center here in HK, they wouldn't replace the battery because it is past the first year of Applecare. I need a new battery for travel, and I am willing to shell out $130usd here in HK for a new one. However, I have seen some off brand batteries in HK and wonder if people have used them and is a success?

Thanks!

2. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Why don't you try one and let us know how it works out!! Of course, if the off brand battery causes your computer to catch on fire and burn, well, make sure you take some pics and share!! :D

3. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

For Dell or any other company, I would buy an off-brand battery.

Since Apple makes their batteries 'special,' I don't think that your battery would either work, nor provide the long battery life that Apple achieves.

4. fluffyx macrumors 6502

With those statistics, Apple will replace your battery under AppleCare (assuming you got the AppleCare protection plan).

The service provider you went to was citing an old Apple policy—batteries are now completely covered under AppleCare.

Call this number for AppleCare Hong Kong: (852) 2112-0099. If you get an agent who isn't familiar with the new policy, just firmly but calmly ask to speak to an agent who's higher up.

5. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea... good point, I used an off brand battery for my old IBM, and it worked great. I'll just go with an Apple one and hope it is better then my last two...

I have come across the Fastmax Truepower battery, http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=3 , I've only read one person's input on it (which is good, at 118 cycles back in 2008, he still had 4.5 hours of normal usage). Will try to find more testimonies, may go for it.

Thanks for the input!

6. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

You... are... the light of my life! I will call that number, thank you SOOO much! If it isn't too much trouble, do you have the link to that policy online? I will search for my Applecare documents, may have thrown them out. I really want to go back to that place and show that girl who helped me who is boss. ;)

I really appreciate your help!

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm now on the 4th battery for my three and a half year old Core Duo MBP.

The first one was replaced as part of a recall, the second one was crap and only lasted for 40 cycles and the third one only lasted 15 months. I didn't feel like paying another £100 for another 'special' Apple battery which would probably be as rubbish as the previous 3, so instead chose a £50 non-branded battery from Hong Kong.

So far it's been the best battery I've had in my MBP and even if I have to buy one every 12 months it will still be a bargain compared to the overpriced genuine Apple replacements.

8. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting... that is the answer I am looking for, I have since many of those off brand batteries around. I may buy one to try, and also try to argue for a new apple replacement from AppleCare.

9. microtate macrumors newbie

FastMac Battery = no good.

Hey guys about 10 months into my FastMac Battery. Don't waste your money. This battery is starting to expand and it lasts an amazing 10 minutes. Spend the extra money and get an OEM one. FastMac is not better its crap.

10. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Within 15 months my FastMac MacBook battery had dropped below 1500mAh, fully charged. I'm pretty sure it's the processor in the battery that's on the fritz, not the battery having lost its ability to hold a charge.

I've found FastMac's support to be at times unresponsive and other times curt.

And it doesn't fit very well either.

I won't be buying again.

11. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Good to hear. I bought an off-branded Dell battery for my fiance's computer and I do believe that it runs as good as or better than Dell's battery.

The main difference is that Dell wanted ~$150 USD and I bought this one for $40.