Anyone use an USB to DVI/DP adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by leftywamumonkey, Jul 10, 2013.

1. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I have a 2010 iMac and I have been flirting with the idea of adding a third display, but the driver issues have always put me off. Does anyone here use a newer USB to DP adapter like this with 10.8 without any issues? I know the performance won't be great, but as long as the cursor doesn't lag, I won't mind. Oh, I should add that I plan on using it with a 1920X1200 monitor if I do get it.

I have considered other options such as Matrox adapters, but those aren't a viable options for me.

2. COrocket macrumors 6502

Scroll down near the bottom of the page and make sure you select one that has Mac OS support - the one you linked to does not. You could probably go with a cheaper USB 2.0 adapter since USB 3.0 doesn't help in your case.

3. leftywamumonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I saw that, however some people in the reviews have said it works with their Macs. I would get a USB 2.0 adapter, however, the DisplayLink internals are better in the newer adapters.

4. COrocket macrumors 6502

Then you could probably try it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I guess getting the USB 3.0 isn't a bad idea because when you upgrade your computer some day you will get the performance improvement.