Anyone use FastMail & the new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsgreen, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Does it support push email through IDLE, or do you have to manually fetch it every x minutes?

2. telmerco macrumors newbie

I use fastmail but it seems that the iPhone 3G implementation of IMAP push is non-standard. In theory the iPhone also support IMAP IDLE, but it appears it doesn't work correctly and if the Mail application isn't in the forground, it only polls every 15 minutes. The new iPhone firmware supports push from Apples proprietary systems (eg the Yahoo collaboration, Mobile ME and their Activesync connection), but again I don't think the IMAP push works properly.

3. jsgreen thread starter macrumors 6502

The above post is accurate.

I switched from a Treo using Chatteremail which used IDLE to get mail pushed from FastMail. It turns out to be pretty minor (having to poll).

Biggest issue I have noticed is that only mail to your Inbox gets retrieved when the iPhone polls - so you have to manually click on whatever folder you want to check is you have your FastMail put mail into folders other than the "top" Inbox folder. Not a huge deal, but a minor inconvenience.