Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
i started using this and saw it to be pretty handy. but i had a question - is there a way to check off the events after you completed them? i noticed you can do this on the 'to do' list, but it's a seperate list that's not on the calendar.

basically, i just want to check off the events that i do that put in the calendar instead of putting it on a totally seperate 'to-do' list.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
proverbs said:
i started using this and saw it to be pretty handy. but i had a question - is there a way to check off the events after you completed them? i noticed you can do this on the 'to do' list, but it's a seperate list that's not on the calendar.

basically, i just want to check off the events that i do that put in the calendar instead of putting it on a totally seperate 'to-do' list.

... If the events are on the calendar why would you want to check them off? If the current time is before the time the event is listed, it has yet to happen, and if the current time is after the time the event is listed, it already happened. :confused:

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
I get it

I use iCal. Love it. Syncs with my Palm. Syncs with my other Mac via .Mac. Looks beautiful.

Anywho - I see what you're trying to do. My only suggestion would be that if you don't complete a task on the day you have it on the calendar, just drag the event over to the next day.

What would I really like to see from iCal? It actually requires nothing from Apple. I want Microsoft to allow Outlook to export an iCal/vCal file so I can take my company's calendar home with me. :)

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Another thought

Hey - had another brainstorm.

You could also have different calendars (colors) doing the work for you.

Maybe a cal called "StandardEvents" in a blue, and "EventsRequiringAction" in red. Once an event requiring action is done, change its calendar so it appears blue, effectively marking it as "done".

What do ya think?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
pubwvj said:
I love iCal. Our whole family uses it. I just wish it has a minimum view like PandoCalendar with a see-through option.

Have you tried this widget? You could even put it on the desktop, I guess, using the method for putting widgets on the desktop that has been discussed here....

iCal Events

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
proverbs said:

Well, events are things that happen, to-do is things that you (at least should) complete...

You could of course just delete events manually when they're done, or get iCal to do it for you. Under Preferences -> Advanced, you can get iCal to delete events (and to-do items) when they are passed (or done), se the attachment.

I love iCal and sync my calendar with my T68i, and even if it still needs some work, it's still an invaluable app... :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 74

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
Random link.

Not that this helps the OP, but I thought I'd throw in a link to some of the best PHP scripting I've seen recently.

PHP iCalender lets you upload your .ics files, and it will then parse the files and display it like this. Works with multiple files, and looks great.

Ideal for sharing your Calenders with the world/windows users.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
proverbs said:

Here's the answer you want. option + v = checkmark

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....my calendar needs are pretty basic - I don't want or need any really advanced features at he moment....so for me iCal works perfectly, and of course syncs nicely between my mac's and iPod using .mac.....oh yeah!

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
When I subscribe to US Holidays, I wouldn't be able to add new event anymore. It made the calendar "read only". :( :confused:
Can someone explain please...

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I love iCal. The only iLife apps i don't use are iMovie, iDVD and Garageband. I couldn't live without the rest.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
oh yes

Yes I use it, not sure that I could go without it since day planners seem to get lost around my house :rolleyes: Can't lose my iMac :p But anywho I really don't have demanding needs just simple times and dates along with car milage for each month.
B-day alearts are nice to have ;)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
EGT said:
I love iCal. The only iLife apps i don't use are iMovie, iDVD and Garageband. I couldn't live without the rest.

iCal is not part of the iLife Bundle. Only iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband and iDVD are.

Any-who, I use iCal everyday. It is a little cumbersome at times, but it does everything I need. The only thing I would like as an option is to set the intervals at what ever I want instead of at every 15 minutes. What I mean is that if you want to add a new event, you can only choose say, on the hour, 15 after, at the half, or at 45 minutes. Some of my classes start at like 9:05 or 10:10. So that means I have to go in the info and change the starting time. I would like an option to choose what the intervals are in the calendar, so I could change it to jump every 5 minutes.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I dont fully use iCal, but I like it so far.

I create seperate Calendars for work related stuff, home, mac, etc. It is great having all the differnet colors, and different todo's related to each calendar.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I don't currently use iCal. I think I will start using it now that I see it can import vCal files. Anyone know if Novell Groupwise can export vCal files?

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Highlight the Correct Calendar

Lucky8 said:
When I subscribe to US Holidays, I wouldn't be able to add new event anymore. It made the calendar "read only". :( :confused:
Can someone explain please...

Hey, Lucky. What is happening is that you have "U.S. Holidays" highlighted on the left. When you double click on the calendar, iCal thinks you're trying to add to this calendar, which you don't have right to. Select the calendar (color) you actually want to add it to, then add away. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.