Anyone use iKlear to clean Moshi Clearguard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Mar 25, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Anyone use iKlear to clean their Moshi Clearguard?

I haven't been able to take off the grease or stains completely using soap and water, so thought I would consider iKlear. But i'm afraid to ruin the clearguard by doing so since I've never done it before.

Or any other tricks to make the Clearguard look as good as new?

Let me know..thanks!

2. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

I believe iKlear is made from petroleum based products but I'm not sure if it will hurt the Clearguard.

My clearguard gets most visibly dirty on the bottom where it touches the keys. I used the keyboard for a few weeks until the clearguard arrived. Use a very slightly damp mr. clean magic eraser on the keys and wash the clearguard once more, focusing on the back of it.

3. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've never used the keyboard at all, I put the clearguard on as soon as I received my laptop.. so not sure how the the bottom of the clearguard would get dirty? My issue is the top of it, I tried cleaning it but its still dirty despite putting water and soap on it.. I kept it under the tap, but still no go..

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

just dont use anything acidic and you should be fine.

5. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Is it that it gets "dirty" in a situation where it looks kind of "foggy?" My ClearGuard sometimes seems to get "foggy." I find that this is how the ClearGuard reacts to dampness/humidity, as whenever I wash mine, it turns foggy. What I've found is a good way is to use something antiseptic to clean it (I used Dettol), then rinse through with water and let it dry NATURALLY. As in, don't even wipe it down or shake the water off.

Hope this helps.

6. lankox macrumors regular

Does the clearguard show that greasy fingerprint look that exists on the bare keyboard? Thanks!

7. hanurk macrumors member

I would like to know the answer to lankox's question as well

8. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

ive had problems with the gunky and dirty palmbaurd too

however, i found the solution to cleaning it off by using a toothbrush and handsoap. works surprisingly well.

9. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

same here, I had my clearguard way before my MBP was delivered! I know... soap and water didn't work :(

That's a good idea... will try it when I get some dettol.

It shows the imprint of the keys (actual letters!)

that takes too much time IMO! time I don't have to waste!

10. marzxbarz macrumors member

Even though you have never used the bare keyboard, the back of the Moshi can get dirty. I had the same thoughts as you (I never used the keyboard without the Moshi) so I assumed I could just clean the front of the Moshi... it was only until I started cleaning the back that the fogginess started to come off. It's a bit annoying cleaning every single key, but it looks so much better now! Give it a try. :)

11. ichiokada macrumors newbie

Radtech omnicleanz

i have the moshi clearguard for my macbook pro keyboard, it got dirty, abit cloudy, and only radtech omnicleanz can clean it, its like brand new after i use omnicleanz with its optex cloth, you guys can try it out.:)

12. jpma macrumors 6502

i mainly use warm water and cleaning soap,
    it removes the foggy part of the entire protector.
    maybe alittle beyond warm~~
    just not too hot, it'll damage it

13. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Call me crazy, but I use an orange lysol wipe to clean mine front and back. After a good scrub-down with the wipe, I wash it with hand soap and warm water, shake it off and let it air dry. I do this before I go to work so I don't have the temptation to type on the keyboard without the clearguard.

I've seen no ill effects of using the lysol wipe for this past year. Plus, I'm killing 99.9% of germs!

14. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

Cleaning your Clearguard with water is usually not enough, I rub every key of the Clearguard with the iKlear micro-chamois cloth dampened with iKlear solution. It's a very effective way of cleaning!

And if you have an iKlear travel pack thing, just rub every key with it, and wipe off the iKlear solution with the cloth.

15. Son1ze macrumors newbie

I use the KB Cover ClearSkin http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=262 instead of the Moshi Clearguard. Same 0.1mm engineering-grade thermoplastic urethane jive.

Like crazyrog17 I found that a thorough scrub in each key slot with the rough side of dual-action Lysol wipes http://www.lysol.com/products/disinfecting-wipes/dwipes-dual-action/ and then the same with front does the trick. Air dries quickly with no streaks or water marks unlike water where the tiny beads can take forever to dry out even after shaking. You're good to go again about a minute after cleaning. More cost effective than spraying with iKlear IMO. Save that stuff for your screen. Just make sure you wipe down a toilet seat or something else afterwards as just cleaning the keyboard cover is a waste of a perfectly good wipe. Lol.

I found that there's no need to even rinse the cover as unless you're using super softened or Brita filtered water what's the point splashing it with hard water... Also make sure you get in the corners otherwise there will be a tiny bit of haze still left in them. Good to go.

Only downside is that maybe over time the Moshi or KB Cover logo on the space bar might fade or rub off.

16. wilflare macrumors member

anyone can recommend ways to remove the yelow stains from the moshi clearguard?

17. wilflare macrumors member

18. wilflare macrumors member

oh well, my local distributor swapped my "defective" clearguard for a new one.
    now i'm back to it without the ugly yellow stains