Anyone use invisible shield for their macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 1, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've used invisible shield before and I know that in order for you to use the shield you would have to spray something onto the shield.. will this spray damage the aluminum overtime.. or how does this work?!?

2. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

if you've used IS before, shouldn't you know how it works? :p
    anyway, all you do is a solution onto the shield (which is basically soap and water). this solution activates the glue on the shield and the soap lets the shield slide so it is easier to position when you apply the shield. the glue will not harm the macbook pro and won't leave any residue should you decide to take it off.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Got a bestskinsever (same thing) on my last MBP.

I seriously ****ed up the installation and that marred my experience. Its nice enough, makes it less "slippery" on a table top. I noticed no damage from the spray (I used IS spray instead of the mixture BSE suggests).

Get the BSE. Same thing, lower price, literally.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I got an invisible shield, since best skins doesn't make a 17" version.

Notes on applying.
    Turn off your MBP. You're going to have to let it sit to dry and you don't want to be the next person to post about how you got fluid in your precious.

I had better luck installing it by soaking the skin. When I just got the skin damp, it was hard to adjust the skin. I probably wouldn't have needed to adjust if I got it on correctly the first time, but I'm not that coordinated or graceful.

Even though you'll see small air bubbles, they seem to magically disappear. I didn't believe other people when they said that, so I tried to work the bubbles out when the skin was still wet. It was a futile experience. It took about a week, but the air bubbles vanished. If you have to leave air bubbles, make sure they're small. The large ones you should be able to smooth out.

If you have any more questions, please PM me.

Esther

5. dvpetrenko macrumors newbie

Did anyone notice any problems with heat after install, because the metal should theoretically disapate better?, i know there are holes, but still??

:)thanks

6. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i took off my shield on my macbook because it was getting too hot, also i didnt like the feeling of the trackpad film..

it will however provide a lot of protection against scratches!

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Use a lot of spray and keep a towel handy; if you're getting hte full body kit, it comes with 2 bottle spray; use both bottles! The more liquid you use, the less bubbles you'll have. Just be sure to soak the spray with a towel as you squeegee it. Also more spray means it's easier to slide. Finally if you owned a IS previously for the MBP, it used to come in multiple pieces, the palm rest was only covered on the left and right side, not the area top and below the touchpad; the back the area near the vents were not protected. The updated one is all one piece for the bottom (well separate pieces for the battery and memory cover) You'll want to be careful with the fluid as it covers the sides as well.

Finally, I would recommend a getting a PowerSupport Trackpad film instead of using the IS, since it's really grippy, so you want something smooth like the PS Trackpad film.

And those wondering about temperature, my computer is a about 3 degrees Celsius hotter, but it also doesnt overheat anymore. I guess the SHIELD insulates the computer so it forces the heat to be expelled by the fans rather than dissipate and heat up the table, the rest of the computer, and everything.

Grippy gloss:
    [​IMG]

It covers around the latch button:
    [​IMG]

Almost seemless fitting of each piece:
    [​IMG]

Doesn't cover the feet, but gets close to the port to protect it:
    [​IMG]

Leaves slots and screws exposed while offering maximum protection:
    [​IMG]

Yes it's that grippy:
    [​IMG]

I didn't add pictures for the Touchpad because like I said I'm using a PowerSupport Trackpad film; also for the wrist area, I'm using a Moshi Palmguard (which the invisibleSHIELD is identical to except the former is hard, non-glossy, textured, matching; and the latter is glossy and grippy.