iPhone XS Max Anyone use iPhone X caseless for a year?

Adelphos33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I've been carrying my Max caseless recently and have been getting a lot of comments on how striking the phone looks. I have a clear case arriving in a couple of days, but I also want to ask the X owners how their phones held up for a year without a case...

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Here's the deal. For the iPhone X or pretty much all iPhones.

It might fall 3,4 or 10 times without a scratch. You'll think you're invincible.

One day, you will be getting out of your car in a hurry. And your iPhone will fall screen-first onto the pavement at an angle, which means the corner will hit first. Your screen will crack, you will see that a new one costs $$$$ at Apple, and you will cry.

Ask me how I know.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Sorry but my X was far too slippery to not put a super thin case on it. The Sedio Surface adds little size and feels like the rubber on a ThinkPad. My X slipped into this case when I got it and looked perfect when I let it go. My MAX is now doing the same.

For those who go caseless, more power to you! BUT, I do not want to look for a safe place to lay my phone down or worry about the casual bump, I just want to use it and enjoy the screen!

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
Sorry but my X was far too slippery to not put a super thin case on it.
That’s an odd experience as I find the iPhone X one of the most grippiest phones Apple has ever made, at least the silver one with its stainless steel sides in combination with the glass back.

This may be different with the space gray, is that what you had?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That’s an odd experience as I find the iPhone X one of the most grippiest phones Apple has ever made, at least the silver one with its stainless steel sides in combination with the glass back.

Yes always the Space Grey. I have used the Sedio Surface on my last 6-7 iphones and would never do without!

I do admire someone having the guts to go without.

johnmed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
uk

iPhone X is like a wet bar of soap. Without a case it slides out of my trouser pocket. Off the sofa, it’s comically slippery. I’ve used 7, 6 and caseless. Not so the X.

Reactions: Kangaroos

darinzook

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2016
Central Pennsylvania
I tried a few different cases with my X. I tried a single 3rd party, didn’t like it. Then went to the Apple Leather folio case. I liked that, but grew tired of it and went to the saddle brown leather case, and then went back to caseless. Nothing compared with it. The X was a magnet for hairline scratches, they’re all over my X. It’s now my wife’s phone. I got a XS Max and have had it in a Apple leather case since i got it. But it doesn’t seem to be near as prone to scratches as the X was.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
i find with the stainless its actually more grippy than the aluminium.
The 6 was the most difficult to grip due to its super light weight and slippery texture

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
iPhone X is like a wet bar of soap. Without a case it slides out of my trouser pocket. Off the sofa, it’s comically slippery. I’ve used 7, 6 and caseless. Not so the X.
Surprised by your experience. The iPhone X/XS series are not the same in terms of grippiness. The silver colour is astronomically better than the space gray thanks to its stainless steel band. Did you use a silver or space gray? As there is a big difference.

It is the iPhone 6/7 series that are like wet bars of soap when holding them, aside from the Jet Black iPhone 7.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I don’t go careless because a purse is a dangerous place for a phone without a case. Too many things that can scratch it.

johnmed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
uk
Surprised by your experience. The iPhone X/XS series are not the same in terms of grippiness. The silver colour is astronomically better than the space gray thanks to its stainless steel band. Did you use a silver or space gray? As there is a big difference.

It is the iPhone 6/7 series that are like wet bars of soap when holding them, aside from the Jet Black iPhone 7.
7 was Matt black and pretty grippy. X is stainless steel. Slippy and scratches easily in a case. Apple ‘genius’ said as much too. Sorta.

iTom501

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
London
I stopped using a case on the X once I knew I’d get the Xs, that was for about 4 months. Had scratches, like a ton but I loved the feel and the look so I continued caseless with the Xs M. Just have a protector on both sides and if anything goes wrong, I’ll use the apple care swap