anyone use istat pro widget on macbook retina 15 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Jan 14, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Just curious, does anyone's hard drive read 233 gigs total free cause that's what mine reads.. but I have a 256 gig hard drive.. I know it reads as 250 gigs after formating .. and maybe those additional 17 gigs are used for the OS but shouldn't it still read as 250 gigs free ? This is what it looks like

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not an issue with iStat Pro. Do you use Time Machine?

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

time machine is turned off and I've restarted a couple of times

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

250gb once formatted, I believe a clean install takes up roughly 15GB, so you should be seeing in the neighbourhood of 235GB free on a brand spanking new machine with no software installed on it. Your numbers sound about right. I don't think I understand your logic of saying you should be seeing 250GB free if the OS is taking up 15GB, those 15GB's aren't free, they are being used by the OS.

Remember that formatting does not mean an OS is installed, it only means the disk is ready to have an OS installed onto it or data written to it.

5. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

hope this picture shows up, so instead of it reading 250 gigs total, the free and used hard drive gives me a total of 232 gigs . Shouldn't it include the 15 gigs for the OS in the used hard drive space ?

Attached Files: