Anyone use iView or Lightroom to tag photos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techmonkey, Jul 11, 2007.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I am trying to find out the best way to tag/keyword photos so that its stored in the photo itself. This would make uploading to different sites alot easier, since I wouldnt have to re-enter keywords/tags. Flickr comes to mind.

Currently, I tried adding a keyword in iView but it doesnt show up in Lightroom. The same happens vice versa. I also tried uploading the photos I added keywords to, but Flickr wasn't able to detect them.

Am I doing something wrong? If not, what program can I use to do this that will keep the keywords/tags permanently in the photo?

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I use Lightroom to tag photo's and then export them. Then I upload them to Flickr using FlickrUploadr and the tags appear on the website fine.

3. gamera~ macrumors member

I believe that Lightroom initially stores the metadata separate from the original photo file (it puts the information in its own database). Select the photos, and under "Metadata" choose "Save metadata to file..." You can also click on the "Has been changed" in the metadata panel.

Not sure about iView, but it's probably doing the same thing.

-Michael

4. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im trying the new iPhoto out. I like the ease of use to add Keywords, but it doesnt look like the keywords are saved to the actual file. I uploaded a group of photos to flickr, but flickr didnt see the keywords.

Any ideas?

5. gamera~ macrumors member

I think you need to export your files from iPhoto first.
    Refer to this post: http://the.taoofmac.com/space/blog/2007/08/15/1953

-Michael

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dang. According to that site, you have to use the Export feature for the keywords to be saved to the photo. This sucks, since I drag/drop photos from iPhoto to Flickr Uploader app.

Im still trying to figure out the best app to use for tagging/keywording, where the data is saved directly to the file the first time.

Any suggetions?

7. gamera~ macrumors member

Hmmm... not sure about a drag/drop solution. Lightroom can save the metadata to the original file, as I said; but nothing else you do to the photo is saved to the original (such as any editing), so you might as well export everything anyway.