Anyone use macbook pro aftermarket batteries? (from ebay/china)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ehoez, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ehoez macrumors member

Anyone use macbook pro aftermarket batteries? (from ebay/china)

Some sellers are selling them for $35 /w free shipping..

they claim 3yr warrty.. i just got mine last week, and after about 10 cycles, i avg around 4500/4600mAh and 2hrs 30mins of useage on low brightness. with my circa 2008 mbp 15"

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Erg. I would not use a battery from ebay. They may seem good now, but i have never had one from ebay last as long (run time wise on other devices). Personally i wouldn't trust a 30 dollar knock off battery in a $2000 laptop.

3. ehoez thread starter macrumors member

1yr latter, and now this china made battery is dead again.

4. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

well its hard to say cause they're all made in china, including the ones in the original macbook. Just all sorts of distributors and manufacturers. I got a 9 cell battery for my netbook and it was amazing and lasted a long time. However, i got a 9 cell for a different laptop and it wouldnt even charge. bought it from different ebay suppliers both shipping from china or hong kong.

5. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

On my 2008 MBP, I've gone through two Apple branded batteries in two years, they simply didn't last more than a year. I then tried a generic Hong Kong brand, but very well known in the HK generic battery market, and it also lasted a little more than a year. Now I am on my 4th battery, it is still new, so I hope it will last a year until I upgrade to the MBPs with great battery life.

So for me, at least 4 batteries in 4 years.

After the bad track record of my Apple branded batteries, I'll just go with the generic HK brand. Plus, they offer a 1 year warranty replacement no questions asked.

If the generic battery you bought lasted a year, I would consider it pretty good for the 2008 MBP!

6. -Carl- macrumors newbie

@chiefroastbeef hey, do you mind sharing what brand of generic HK battery you use? or maybe a link to an ebay auction?

thanks!

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Carl, my generic brand is called Powermart, it is a very well known brand here in Hong Kong, many people buy from them. Their website is powermart.com.hk , though I am not sure if they sell online, never checked. :) Again, my advice is to buy a a cheap battery off ebay and hope it lasts at least a year, in my experience, the expensive Apple ones are only as durable. :)