Anyone use Microsoft Remote Connection that comes with MS Office for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SRLMJ23, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm trying to set mine up, have to mess with my Windows Machine a little bit but overall, how is it?

2. fistlo macrumors newbie

Works well

I used to use it to connect to the windows system at work. Over a good network it works great!

Would recommend over any other solution I found.

P.S. I got disconnected often from the network (never found out if this was a network or software problem)

curious if you have the same issue.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

For some reason I cannot get my Mac to connect to my Windows Machine. I have everything set up right (I think) so I'm not too sure what's going on.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to access your Windows desktop, or just files?

5. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Honestly, I just want to see how it works. If I can access my Windows Desktop that would be pretty cool.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For this I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

7. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

What version of Windows are you running?

8. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you check out TeamViewer?

10. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

I use it for schoolwork since it's only possible to do with Windows.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I use it all the time for work. Sadly it's not as fast as the equivalent on Windows, but for logging into servers to manage them it's a great tool and saves me from having to mess around with a Windows partition on my work Mac.

12. jackrv macrumors 6502

13. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

You are on the same network as the Windows machine, right? No firewalls causing any grief? The default port for RDP is 3389 and you should use your username and password. Since you have Ultimate, everything should be kosher assuming you have turned the service on.

That said, the Microsoft RDP viewer for Mac OS leaves some things to be desired, so you could try cord: http://cord.sourceforge.net

14. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm on the same network, however, I do have Firewalls on, on both machines. I thought once I turned on Remote Connection I could just put my IP Address for my Windows machine in there and it would work.

15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It's working great for me... even over VPN back to my office network from home.

I just entered the IP address for my Windows machine into the RDP box and it worked. I don't use a firewall on the Mac and I think the Windows box has a firewall on it from the installed Endpoint Security Suite, but it didn't seem to cause any problems.

16. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Maybe you could try to make a firewall exception on the windows machine for port 3389 :confused: I never use the windows firewall; I'm sorry I can't help much there.

17. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yes, I can make an exception for that port. I will try it and see if it works. Thank you all for your help and sharing your experiences with me.

Anymore tips, please leave them. Thanks.

18. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Yes, I can make an exception for that port. I will try it and see if it works. Thank you all for your help and sharing your experiences with me.

Anymore tips, please leave them. Thanks.