Anyone use "On the Job" time tracking/invoice software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by robo456, Mar 23, 2015.

1. robo456, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015

robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I did a decent amount of computer consulting work several years ago and I used Billings to track accounts and make invoices.

I wanted to supplement my income a bit and pick up where I left off, but I noticed Billings went to a cloud/subscription based system now which I really have no interest in. Since this is not a full time gig for me, I might go several months without any activity.

I've been poking around Google to find a new package to use. I came across Stunt Software's "On the Job" which looks similar to Billings. I was curious if anyone had any real world experience with it, or possibly any other suggestions as to software to look at?

Ultimately, time tracking isn't too much of an issue; I would like to be able to make quotes/proposals, create invoices, and keep track of customer balances.

Thanks for any info!

**EDIT**
    I looked back and noticed that I had posted on an older thread about someone asking the same question... One of the posts mentioned Zylot which I took a quick peek at the website. It looks like it's a more web-based scenario which I'm not sure if I like the idea of. (guess I'm old-skool and want the data locally stored) Also, when you click on the "try invoicing" button, you're immediately brought to a "Agree to Terms and Service" screen. When you click to view the terms, you're greeted by a "Whoops, looks like something went wrong."

**EDIT TO THE EDIT**
    It looks like On the Job hasn't been updated in quite some time. I found this comment on the MacUpdate website:

There's a program called Totals 2 (kedisoft.com) that looks promising. One of the MacUpdate comments was pretty much my situation of being a previous Billings user that didn't want to pay the monthly fees. The downside is that it's $129. At that point, I might be better off paying the monthly fees for a Quickbooks Online or some other service...

--rob

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

I have two friends that use Daylight, but they need CRM capabilities. Daylight takes a lot of time to learn... You've been warned :D, but it's very powerful software.

I use a custom Merlin template to track my company's project work and expenditures, but I'm not willing to hand out my template as it's proprietary. Merlin's users groups have several templates from which to build tracking mechanisms from.

The coolest tracking software I've seen for either singles or teams is Klok (single users) and Klokwork (teams). Klok has been around for quite some time, is only getting better with age, and is cross-platform. Oh, and it's cheap for either package. Klok has had connectors with other companies too - including Basecamp, Harvest, Paymo, and Asana.

3. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into them!

--rob

4. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

5. robo456, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

6. AtelierS macrumors newbie

You may also want take a look at Fanurio (http://www.fanuriotimetracking.com). It's $59 and it allows you to store data on your computer. Version 3.1 was released earlier this month.

7. SSDGUY macrumors 6502

Not perfect but the best I've found

I've used it for about 3 years. I like it. I does a really good job as a time clock and the invoicing in pretty cool once you get it customized. Improvements could be made, but I found other apps too complicated,too simple (basically glorified egg timers) or too focused on billing than time tracking … so On The Job does it for me.