Anyone Use Open Signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Sep 30, 2014.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

So it looks like while I am at home my Verizon reception is only 2-3 circles, which I take isn't very good and could very well be the reason why my phones battery is draining too fast.

I did some research and see that Open Signal is something that reports your signal and the carriers can use it to see where signals are week. I was wondering if anyone out there uses it and knows how it works?

All I have to do is run the app and it will report my weak signal to Verizon? Is there any chance they would do anything about it? I'll also put it on my wifes phone so that its coming from two phones if that helps.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

2. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

http://opensignal.com/about.php

So, it doesn't go to the carriers, but to a user-created coverage map.

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Shoot, so it won't help my signal...

Anything I can do to help that?

4. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Switch carriers?

5. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Nah, its great other wise and voice over wifi should be available soon.

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Honestly, 2-3 bars (or, well, circles) isn't really terrible and I wouldn't think that would be too much of a battery drain in itself. If you're on iOS 8 you can see what's draining your battery by going to Settings|General|Usage|Battery Usage.

If Phone is up at the top and you haven't been making a lot of calls, then it's possible that signal strength is the issue, but my guess would be that it's something else. Once I did see a little note under Phone in the battery usage that said "Low signal strength" or something similar to that, so apparently the phone will note it if you are having a signal strength issue.

Obviously if you spend hours on the phone during the day, then I would expect to see the phone using a lot of battery life, but if you haven't made any or many calls, then it shouldn't be too high on the list.

7. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

A Wilson Cellular booster I have them in my cars and they work great

[​IMG]