anyone use slingbox with their iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThereGoesJB, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

this pretty much sounds like the greatest thing ever but if you dont have unlimited data then i question whether its worth it at all.

Can anyone comment based on experience? or do you know someone who uses it?

2. spurbs macrumors member

I use it everyday, I love it. Obviously the picture depends on your connection (WiFI vs 3G) and I think your home upload speed has some effect too. I use it to watch Sabres games when I work nights and it's flawless for me

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I use it with unlimited data. Mostly I use it at work during the day and I have wifi there. But there are times where I use it on 3G. The quality is good for the most part but sometimes it can be bad. If you don't have unlimited data and aren't around wifi during the day then it's not worth using on your phone.

4. Bag302 macrumors regular

5. ThereGoesJB thread starter macrumors regular

do you keep track of your data? how much do you go through a month?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I love it.
    I have unlimited data so I dont worry about it much but if you dont keep track of your usage cause it can use up your 2GB's quick.

7. Mumty macrumors newbie

Whats this? How does it work with your iPhone??? 

8. aztooh macrumors 6502a

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I love it! Granted, I usually use it on wifi, though last week I watched an entire NFL game at Wendy's on 3g, and on the whole it performed admirably. I'm on AT&T, BTW.

10. ThereGoesJB thread starter macrumors regular

this is essentially the reason i am considering it... and i too would prob stick to wifi with it most of the time. But for the instance I want to watch a whole game on 3g (3+ hours ?) then how much data could it burn through?

Another question... if say, i exceed my 2gb data. I get the same charge whether i use 2.1 GB or 2.9 GB right?
    So if i go over a little bit i might as well use as much as that whole extra GB as i can. (i believe its an additional 10$ per GB over)

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have been looking into the Slingbox also, I remember seeing ads on MacRumors for them $50 off. I really want one but just looking for feedback and I think I have found it.

I'll try to find that $50 off link.

----------

Found it: http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-promo

12. mrmike316 macrumors regular

Have just found out about the VULKANO box, looks like it might be a little better and cheaper too.