Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AE_stc

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 25, 2020
Still semi new to macs I just discovered that they have the multi desktop feature I used in windows. Right now I’ve got two monitors, one for my monitoring software.

I’m considering going back to one and just putting that stuff on a separate space. Anyone use it, does it work well enough day to day? Does it become cumbersome?

glawrie

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2005
Maidenhead, UK
I have two monitors and also use spaces all the time: I've grown used to it and find it almost second nature now. Have a mix of apps in full screen and others in desktops - and use the feature to attach certain apps to certain desktops. Right now my machine is running 15 apps in full screen, and has for different desktop areas defined also.

HTH

Reactions: AE_stc

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
To me Spaces are an essential feature of macOS and part of what makes it so wonderful to use during everyday use.

I mostly use fullscreen apps, each in their own Space, ordered intelligently based on which ones are related and have a high probability of being switched between quickly based on my use. Definitely try and use them and soon it will become second nature.

Any apps that don't call to be used in fullscreen (ex. Messages) go on my desktop.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Still semi new to macs I just discovered that they have the multi desktop feature I used in windows. Right now I’ve got two monitors, one for my monitoring software.

I’m considering going back to one and just putting that stuff on a separate space. Anyone use it, does it work well enough day to day? Does it become cumbersome?
Hmmm. You can do that in Windows? I have two monitors at work, and overlapping windows are a pain.

I use several Desktops on my Mac. I have a hot corner set to show Mission Control (Spaces).

AE_stc

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 25, 2020
Hmmm. You can do that in Windows?

Windows 10 yeah, or at least you could when I used it last for work (2017ish). Was pretty handy
[automerge]1584911908[/automerge]
Awesome thanks guys that’s good to know. Gonna try it see if it catches on with the old muscle memory ha
[automerge]1584912038[/automerge]
I have two monitors and also use spaces all the time: I've grown used to it and find it almost second nature now. Have a mix of apps in full screen and others in desktops - and use the feature to attach certain apps to certain desktops. Right now my machine is running 15 apps in full screen, and has for different desktop areas defined also.

HTH

Really interesting, wow yeah that’s full use of it. So you run an app in full screen and give its own “space” to run in

does each Space work like the desktop? Like mounted drives visible, you can use apps not full screen and layered etc?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013

All...the...time!

I just moved from a PC (where I never used multiple desktops) and just stated using a MAC daily. Without consciously intending to do so, I started using Spaces simply because of how easy it is to flow between them using the trackpad gestures. Just like moving between iPad apps.

Only downside is having too many open at times.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yes, I moved a couple of years ago from multiple monitors to a single large monitor with multiple desktops (Windows) or Spaces (on my Mac). With trackpad gestures on either device, switching spaces is much easier than managing windows across multiple monitors. I typically have 3-5 at any given time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.