Anyone use Spotify?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by docgerrard, Aug 31, 2011.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

You download it and you can stream whatever music you want whenever you want as many times as you want. You need internet connections, and there are ads in between.

Thats not the point though. I use it, and one negative is that there are flash ads on the side. My air has been feeling really hot lately, battery life isn't as good, etc. Maybe its because of these flash banner ads? Any way to block flash in a particular application?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd say a few in the forum use Spotify:
    Spotify Makes U.S. Debut With Paid Plans and Invite-Only Free Service
    Spotify questions
    spotify premium
    iCloud vs. Spotify
    Spotify Accepting Signups for US Launch
    Import iTunes Library for streaming on Spotify Mobile?
    Apple Trying to Torpedo Spotify's U.S. Launch?
    Have you tried ClickToFlash plugin or ClickToFlash extension? It works for Safari, but I don't know if it would help your situation.

3. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

Click to flash work for stand alone applications?

This is not affiliated with Safari at all

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I'm not familiar with how the Spotify ads are delivered, I knew it was a long shot.

5. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I use it and love it, but at the same time I have Spotify Premium and it has no ads. I can see this easily replacing the iTunes music store.

6. kepner macrumors 6502

Uninstall Flash.

When you need to view Flash content, open Google Chrome. Chrome bundles its own Flash plugin that works even if Flash is not installed on your Mac.

7. summitRun macrumors regular

Thanks for mentioning that. I have a new MBA and don't want to deal with the whole Flash/CTF thing so this seems like a good compromise :cool:

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Same for me.

9. mixman macrumors member

I pay for Spotify to not display/voice ads; best 4,99 euroes per month I spend.

10. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

I am a premium user so I don´t see the ads as well.

Also thank you for reminding me of what other apps to download on my MBA. Just got one, and don´t feel like transferring stuffs from my old MBP. Just getting the apps as I remember them :p

11. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I also pay the monthly fee for spotify - it's just really, really worth it. No interruptions, no limitations, you can use the iPhone client, play songs while offline and so on - it's just everything I ever needed, and they have something like 99% of the songs I want. I'd recommend anyone to get the premium version instead of trying to block ads.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Is there anyway to stream music to my phone, without paying 10 dollars a month? I think that was the reason I didn't care much about it.

Especially when you can use Rdio which, for $5/month, lets me stream music instantly on any device and allows for offline play.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

14. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Rdio also charges $10/month if you want streaming to your device. Their $5 plan is computer only.

15. jpl6 macrumors member

I use Spotify premium and it's definitely worth it. Also got the "Simplify" app from the Mac appstore for better control of Spotify.

I was trying out Rhapsody before Spotify launched for the U.S. and for me, Spotify is definitely a lot better than Rhapsody in terms of the fluidness of the client. The only negative for Spotify is that it doesn't have a web client for the few times I might not be using one of my own machines.

16. cheeseplane macrumors newbie

Same here. You should definetely try the premium version.