anyone use the Air usb stick, as a usb stick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jayo123456, Nov 15, 2010.

1. jayo123456 macrumors regular

thinking about putting the image to an external, as a seperate partition.

then use the usb stick, as my usb stick. Good idea?

it looks kinda flimsy, not sure how it will hold up.

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

3. kdoug, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Your USB stick is write protected. Also, Disk utility recognizes it as CD/R media, strike 2.
    Here are the instructions for coping the restore drive:

I'm going to try and explain this step by step:
    1. Download and install Onyx, this is so you can see hidden files on the Apple drive.

2. Make the invisible files visible with Onyx (Parameters tab/Finder/Misc. Options/Show hidden files).

3.Double click the Mac OS X installer .dmg file that was hidden so it'll mount to your desktop.

4. Download and install Carbon Copy Cloner.

5. Open CCC and for the source, pick the the Mac OS X installer image on your desktop.

6. For the destination, you should choose your formatted 8GB flash drive.

7. Click the clone button and it will make a bootable, system installable copy on your new flash drive. It will not copy iLife though, that step is next.

8. The reason you have to do step 7 is we need the hidden system files to make bootable for the next step.

9. Once your new drive is cloned with the installer, boot from it to make sure everything's OK.

10. Once booted back to your desktop, with both the Apple drive and your new USB drive plugged in, start CCC again.

11. Make the Apple USB flash drive your source and your USB drive your destination.

12. This is important! There's a check box on the right side under the source, click it. It say's "Delete items that don't exist on the source".

13. Before you start there should be a tiny little green light that say's the drive will be bootable. If it's red, you screwed up, start over.

14. This the final step. Hit the clone button, it will copy all the files from the Apple USB disk but leave the bootable files on your USB disk alone. It will copy and than it will verify. If everything went OK, you'll get a message that it was successful.

You now should have a working bootable copy with iLife installed on it. I've done it twice and booted several times from it, it works perfectly.

Just a quick follow up to copy process of the USB restore disk.
    Some of you have had success and some have had the "not enough disk space warning.

Once you get to step 12 and you check the box that say's "it'll delete the files
    that don't exist on the source disk", it also say's it (will try) and unmount both disks from the desktop.

THis is important, it HAS to unmount both disks to make an exact copy or it won't work and you'll get the "not enough space warning.
    To make it work properly, after step 8, make sure and close down your programs and REBOOT THE COMPUTER. Some of you are not doing this and that's why you're having problems.

If it for some reason it won't unmount the disks on the second copy, stop it and try it again. It takes about 15-20 seconds for CCC to Unmount the disks. Once this is done you're good to go.

If you follow my very detailed steps there shouldn't be a problem.

4. jayo123456 thread starter macrumors regular

done. now how do I format the usb stick to use as a personal drive?

5. Seawolf8080 macrumors newbie

6. kdoug, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

7. Jona macrumors newbie

I've managed to make a successful bootable copy on my LaCie iamakey, but I'm having trouble making it work as a Mac OS X installer on computers other than the MacBook Air. Is there a plist I can edit or something to make this possible?

I wish Apple didn't make its Restore and Install discs hardware-specific.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And what happens if your external drive fails?

Personally, I'd not use the usb stick for anything but what apple intended.

9. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

This is true. Office Depot has a 8GB SanDisk Cruzer USB flash drive on sale this week for $17.99!

10. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

+1 USB Sticks dont cost a lot nowadays. So i wouldnt risk formatting it. I have kept it in my iPhone box for it to be safe :D

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only reason why I think some people would want to use it, is because it has the apple logo on it. Short of that, there's little reason

12. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

Thanks kdoug for these very detailed instructions. I think I'll be making a back-up. Just because you never know..... :)

13. barmann macrumors 6502

Don't buy a Cruzer for a Mac ...

14. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

The newer ones work perfect. You're thinking of the older ones that had U3 proprietary BS software that couldn't be removed. I've got a cloned 8GB Cruzer of my USB install disk and a cloned 16GB Cruzer of my HD. They both work and boot perfectly.

15. s4yunkim macrumors regular

Is the copy writable?

So after you make the copy, can you add additional files to it? I figure if I'm going to make a copy of my restore USB, I might as well make a copy to a 32gb stick and put other programs I need, VMware image, etc...

That way I could have an "everything in one" restore key :)

16. barmann macrumors 6502

I stand corrected then; I once had to remove the U3 software form a Cruzer, and it's a pain.

Just make an 8GB partition for the restore drive, use the rest as storage or a system clone.

17. no_name macrumors member

Your instructions are very helpful but I'm a bit confused. For step 12: are you saying to check the box in order to delete the files, or uncheck it so as NOT to delete the files? If I don't delete the files I end up with 13GB of files, and I was under the impression that this could all fit on an 8GB stick. But it seems like if I do delete the files then steps 1-8 are pointless.

I am also not moving the files directly to a USB stick but to an image file that I can copy to multiple sticks later if needed.

18. Nioxic macrumors regular

i havnt got one.. how do i get one? (Without paying for something i own?)

19. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

One came with the 2010 Airs. Look around eBay if you really want one for some reason.